Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSP weighed around 192lbs tonight against Sheilds... Why is he ducking Silva again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway I found another quote that points to GSP's camp mentioning him being 192lbs come fight night. After comparing weigh in pics it does look liked he put on some size since his other fights. Noticeable in his upper body / shoulder

July 2009

Dec 2010

April 2011

Article #1 published May 3rd (after the Shields St-Pierre fight) by ESPN

Firas Zahabi can't see Georges St. Pierre packing on many more pounds. Georges St. Pierre’s trainer Firas Zahabi isn’t against seeing his star fighter move up a division after his recent sixth straight welterweight title defense. He is, however, against seeing him pack on a ton of weight to do it.

According to Zahabi, St. Pierre (22-2) has probably added all the muscle his 5-foot-10 frame can athletically carry. If St. Pierre decides to vacate the 170-pound title and compete at 185, Zahabi says he’ll encourage him to remain close to the weight he is now.

“He’ll be very small for a middleweight,” Zahabi told ESPN.com. “If I balloon him up to over 200 pounds, it won’t do any good. There’s a point where you can have too much muscle and it’s not a good thing. I think he’s got the maximum amount you can put on his body without it starting to be detrimental.

“If he goes up [to 185], I would recommend he stay the same size. You don’t want Georges to go in there bulked up and unable to perform in the mechanical way that he does.”

Prior to his fight against Jake Shields at UFC 129, St. Pierre's camp said its target was for him to rehydrate 22 pounds, to an in-cage weight between 192 and 193 pound.

Another reason to not add a ton of muscle is it would be tedious weight for St. Pierre to shed if he ever chose to move back down. Zahabi did note, however, that in a proposed fight against Anderson Silva, he’d experiment adding as much as 10 pounds to St. Pierre to help keep the lengthy Brazilian down.

“I’d probably push him up to 200 pounds for that fight,” Zahabi said. “He still wouldn’t be as big as Anderson and it wouldn’t be natural, but it would be better. If you do get on Anderson Silva, having an extra pounds on you is a good extra 10 pounds.”

Article #2 published May 1st by Yahoo Sports.

Dave Metzler
    St. Pierre’s handlers during the week said that he would be 193 pounds when he went into the cage. That would be an increase over the usual 187-188 pounds St. Pierre fights at after making 170 the night before. The champion appeared bigger across the shoulders. But while the added weight appeared to be all muscle, as St. Pierre maintained his usual next-to-zero body fat percentage, it did not appear to be to his benefit as a fighter. He didn’t appear nearly as fast, nor was his striking as crisp. If anything, this fight appeared to be a warning sign about trying to get up to 200 pounds and then compete as a middleweight.

The reality is St. Pierre’s frame is simply not made to be a modern middleweight. He’s a good enough fighter that he could carry the weight without it being fat, and probably could beat a lot of people in the class. But at the upper echelon, going middleweight would be well above his optimum fighting weight.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...ig-as-hell-get

Comment

Originally posted by Amrn4s View Post
      cause honestly Gsp will have a good chance of losing against Anderson Silva. His jabbing fighting style wont really work on Silva. Silva is to elusive, and can capitalize on Gsp's holes in his standup game.
      If they ever fight believe me the fight will be going to the ground. He stood up with Koscheck and Shields because the have a good ground game. If they were stand up fighters then he would took the fight to the ground.

And yes GSP will take Silva down. If you have good takedowns and a good wrestler then you can take Silva down. He has problems with fighters who can wrestle.

Comment

Working...
      X