Winky Wright.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winky Wright.

Man how come he doesn't get any fights?

I was watching some fights of is, and he makes everyone he fights look terrible. I just wondering if everyone ducks him or what? I also think he was robbed in the Jermaine Taylor fight, but that's just my opinion.

What do you guys think?

i offered him a fantasy match up with tommy hearns but he turned it down.
    too much krispy kremes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Fury View Post
      Man how come he doesn't get any fights?

I was watching some fights of is, and he makes everyone he fights look terrible. I just wondering if everyone ducks him or what? I also think he was robbed in the Jermaine Taylor fight, but that's just my opinion.

What do you guys think?
      This is no longer true.

In previous years, yeah, the bigger names tended to shy away from him, except for Fernando Vargas because Winky was the mandatory. Vargas got the decision in a close fight (I had WW winning 7-5) and Wright had to work his way back up to a title shot.

By in the past few years, he's been getting the bigger fights and bigger names, other than DLH. In 2004, he got 2 fights with Ring magazine 154 lb. champ Shane Mosley, to unify 3 belts at 154. That was the biggest money fight he could get at 154 other than DLH. In 2005, he got a bout with Felix Trinidad, the biggest star at 160. A year later, he got a fight with Jermaine Taylor, the recognized champ at 160. I thought Winky won a close fight, but Wright wanted more money for the rematch, and a rematch never happened. In 2007, he fought Bernard Hopkins for the Ring title at light-heavyweight.

From 2004 through 2007, he has gotten either the most significant fights in three different divisions, the most lucrative bouts in each division, or both.

And Winky is a guy with a reputation around boxing for not exactly having the most reasonable assessment of his market value.

He hasn't been active lately. He was supposed to fight Paul Williams, but the fight was nixed, I think by HBO, so HBO promised him a fight date next January.

Comment

its not that he was robbed, he makes fights difficult for boxers and gives them a hard time, plus that fight with hopkins brought him down that could be the reason

Comment

Working...
        X