No announcement yet.

If Salvador Sanchez never died.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
    Nelson wasn't ahead going into the 15th, Nelson did indeed improve but I think Sanchez would have always beaten him and that says a lot
    He was ahead on one judges scorecard, the ring magazine's and mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I wouldn't accuse Sanchez of ducking. People often forget that fighters don't make fights, promoters and TV networks do. If the right offer came along the fight would have happened. The problem with unifying titles is that both parties are used to getting the bigger share of the purse. And there is no math to make that work.
      I agree...

Comment

Only one fighter ever expressed any interest in that fight, and it wasn't Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          He was ahead on one judges scorecard, the ring magazine's and mine.
          Nelson attributed the defeat to losing his customized mouth piece before the fight.. Some sources at the time, claimed Nelson had suffered a broken jaw?

Comment

IMO the Nelson fight more shows how good Nelson was as a fighter than any slight on Sanchez's behalf. Nelson fought brilliantly and then Sanchez turned it around in the last round and stopped him, thats a classic fight with two ATGs of the lower weights

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              What would his career look like if he would have fought thru the rest of the 80s
              If he stayed at feather, the only person who could've beaten him was Pedroza, and I think on some level Salvador knew it, so he set his eyes on Arguello, who would probably beat him in a close fight by UD. I think Salvador could beat most of the junior lightweights outside of Camacho, but staying at lightweight would be a big mistake.He wouldn't have been able to beat Davis JR, Kenty, Mancini, possibly Verderosa, or even Rosario.

Comment

aw very interesting thread

Comment

My two favorite fighters of all time were Sanchez and chavez. What I find interesting when comparing these two great fighters is that they are only three years apart in age.

Sanchez was mainstream in 80-82 timeframe, yet very few knew who chavez was when he fought ramirez in 88. Chavez wasn't known by most until 90 when he fought meldicck Taylor.

Both great , but Sanchez was a man amongst boys at 20 years old. They were only four pounds difference in weight at 23 years old. So this fight could have happened. If they were to fight I think it would depend on when, early 80, mid 80s, late 80's, or early 90's. I think chavez would only win from 89 and beyond.

Both were similar fighters. Great technicians, plenty of power, methodical. Slight power to chavez, slight speed to Sanchez.

Overall In there prime, I would give the slight edge to Sanchez. He just had something special about him.

Comment

Working...
                  X