Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argenis Mendez....I knew something was wrong.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Many fighters lose ridiculous weight in the final couple of weeks before a bout. Most of it is obviously water weight. It may sound nuts, but losing 14 pounds in two weeks isn't particularly unusual. There's a reason why many fighters rehydrate ten or more pounds after weigh-in.

That said, I don't doubt that Mendez was not himself against Barthelemy. I said the night of the fight that I'd never seen Rances look so sharp and punch so hard. We'll see during the rematch. It's coming one way or the other.
    They should rematch, but is it really smart to do it? If it was so bad then to keep fighting at the same weight again and against the guy who just knocked you out is not a good idea, if he really struggled that bad. Well even if he looses he can just say It was the weight and try to do his thing at a higher weight class if he's healthy still because fighting when you been dizzy the same day doesn't sound like a very healthy conscious camp decision to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronard View Post
      Hey man, no disrespect but that sounds like a load of excuses. There's people who lose about 8 lbs in the last week before weigh ins... Didn't he come in like 2lbs under the limit? When people are struggling they usually come in at or over the limit.

He was getting hurt cause he decided to come lighter vs a big guy.
      Hey, that's why I said, "if it's true" because I don't just believe everything they say regardless if I'm a fan or not. But Mendez just looked horrible from the start of the fight that night. He was not himself.
      Also, as far as loosing a lot of weigh in short time...well, everybody is not the same and every body can react differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
        He was hurt by almost every single punch Bathelemy threw. I think he was lucky to get KOd quickly he could have really got hurt. Dehydration does terrible things to the brain. Besides both guys are 5'10, it must be near impossible to make 130 safely.
        Exactly my point....but I think if Mendez has lost the weight slowly his body would have handle it better. He has done it plenty of times before unless age is catching up with him. Either way he knows if he needs to move up or not. I think he can do well at 135 and am even willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at 140lbs. Good luck to him and again I hope he learned his lesson.

Comment

Working...
        X