Career accomplishments of Carlos Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career accomplishments of Carlos Ortiz

http://aaboxing.blogspot.com/2011/05...los-ortiz.html

Hopefully this well help this overlooked fighter get a little more respect.

would you consider him the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time?

Good breakdown.

Carlos Ortiz is truley an exceptional fighter and a Top 5 ATG LW IMO.

Little short breakdown of Top 5 fighters he fought at LW;

Johnny Busso
    Kenny Lane x2
    Battling Torres
    Joe Brown
    Douglas Valiant
    Ismael Laguna x2

Including other great wins over Flash Elorde x2 and Duilo Loi.

Truely exceptional fighter and the great Rican fighter of all time IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      http://aaboxing.blogspot.com/2011/05...los-ortiz.html

Hopefully this well help this overlooked fighter get a little more respect.

would you consider him the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time?

Hard to argue with that! One might be able to push for Benitez but it's not an argument I'd feel real comfortable making. Ortiz's record speaks for itself

Poet

Comment

Ortiz is up there with El Radar ofc. Hard to say who was better, but Carlos made more title defenses and arguably beat more greats. Even if not all of em were in their prime, Sugar Ramos I think wasn't.

Comment

I think Ortiz has become massively underrated by most in general and yes, I have him as the greatest PR fighter in front of Benitez and Tito. He was so consistent and really has one of the greatest lightweight resumes of all time. The guys he beat and fought and his overall record is astonishing.

Bizzaro
          Brown
          Loi
          Laguna
          Lane
          Elorde
          etc etc all of whom already are or will be HOFers.

Definitely a top five LW for me, and that's really saying something. I think he also should have Nicolino Loche on his win list too. They have a draw instead in Locche's hometown....

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            I think Ortiz has become massively underrated by most in general and yes, I have him as the greatest PR fighter in front of Benitez and Tito. He was so consistent and really has one of the greatest lightweight resumes of all time. The guys he beat and fought and his overall record is astonishing.

Bizzaro
            Brown
            Loi
            Laguna
            Lane
            Elorde

Definitely a top five LW for me, and that's really saying something. I think he also should have Nicolino Loche on his win list too. They have a draw instead in Locche's hometown....
            The audience wasnt happy with the decision, and apparently Locche had to clinch a lot and was a pretty bruised up at the end.

I dont like to call robbery when I havent seen the fight...but it certainly seems like Ortiz deserved the win when Locche's hometown crowd thought Ortiz should have won.

Ortiz actually traveled to his opponents' hometown a lot, and during his title reign years fought in Italy, the Phillipines, Japan, the UK, Panama, Argentina, Mexico, and even the Dominican Republic.

Makes me wonder a bit if he deserved the decision in a few of his losses, since ALL of his losses in title fights were decisions in his opponent's backyard...hmm....
            But, I dont have video of most of them, so I dont want to assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
              The audience wasnt happy with the decision, and apparently Locche had to clinch a lot and was a pretty bruised up at the end.

I dont like to call robbery when I havent seen the fight...but it certainly seems like Ortiz deserved the win when Locche's hometown crowd thought Ortiz should have won.

Ortiz actually traveled to his opponents' hometown a lot, and during his title reign years fought in Italy, the Phillipines, Japan, the UK, Panama, Argentina, Mexico, and even the Dominican Republic.

Makes me wonder a bit if he deserved the decision in a few of his losses, since ALL of his losses in title fights were decisions in his opponent's backyard...hmm....
              But, I dont have video of most of them, so I dont want to assume.
              It was a pretty close fight but Ortiz just had a much greater offensive output and by the end Locche was tired, beaten, holding a lot and hardly throwing. It wasn't an horrific robbery but I think Ortiz was the clear winner.

Comment

I have no problem with anyone calling Ortiz the greatest PR fighter ever. But I am surprised that I haven't seem Wilfredo Gomez's name mentioned here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  I have no problem with anyone calling Ortiz the greatest PR fighter ever. But I am surprised that I haven't seem Wilfredo Gomez's name mentioned here yet.
                  well, this thead was specifically made only to go over Ortiz's career, not really discuss who the best PRican fighter of all time was.

Gomez is one of my all time favorites, but honestly overall I dont think his record stacks up against Ortiz's. He didnt beat as much high level competition, although his win over Zarate was just plain outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

Bizzaro
                    Brown
                    Loi
                    Laguna
                    Lane
                    Elorde

You forgot Ramos too.

Comment

Working...
                    X