Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest 40 fighters of the last 40 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we were to include Ali's 1960s run then yeah, probably. My list is based on post-1970 and he basically had two careers. He beat bigger names in the 70s, but one could make a rather strong argument he was No. 1 HW of the previous decade as well.

Ray Leonard, in my experience, is terribly underrated and reviled on many boxing forums. The reason for this is that he made Duran quit and decisioned Marvin Hagler, two truly hardass fighters with passionate, rabid fanbases. I know this, because Duran is probably my favorite fighter of all-time. However, I can't knock SRL's accomplishments.

You know, for all of the pitter patter featherfisted insults, there was not one fighter Ray Leonard met in the ring from June '79 to November '88 that he didn't stop, with the exception of Marvin Hagler who had arguably the greatest chin ever, or at worst near the top of the list.

Who did Ray Leonard meet? Within 22 months from 1979-81, he fought and beat 3 Hall of Famers and a fourth lineal champion in a higher weight class. Their combined record at the time he beat them: 178-1-1. That's Wilfred Benitez (38-0-1), TKO15. Roberto Duran (72-1), TKO8. Ayub Kalule (36-0), TKO9. Thomas Hearns (32-0), TKO14. He was an underdog to Hearns and it took one of the greatest comebacks basically ever to pull off that win. In between all this he wiped out contenders Dave Green and Bruce Finch, both by KO/TKO and in mighty impressive fashion.

Then he beats MARVIN HAGLER who hadn't tasted defeat in 11 years. Slowed or not, Leonard had fought once in the previous five years and never at 160. Marvin was a cherry on top. Donny Lalonde was the spinkles. If you watch that fight, you see Leonard get off the canvas and nose bloodied, put a savage beating on him. That isn't a featherfist. It's a stone cold killer.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Here's a list you can all steam into..

I've put very little thought into it, so there maybe some names i've totally forgotten about.. Normally, i'd need days to refine a list like this, so where do you think it could it be improved?

Once again, it's only a rough list and it's mainly based on resume so please feel free to blast me if you think i'm miles out with anyone..

Note - I am including fighters who turned pro before 1970.

1. Ali
      2. Duran
      3. Monzon
      4. Jones
      5. Arguello
      6. Pacquiao?
      7. Hagler
      8. Chavez
      9. Foreman
      10. Leonard
      11. Whitaker
      12. Sanchez
      13. Hearns
      14. Holyfield
      15. Mayweather?
      16. Napoles
      17. Benitez
      18. Frazier
      19. Morales
      20. Spinks
      21. De La Hoya
      22. Marquez?
      23. Toney
      24. Mosley
      25. Nelson
      26. Holmes
      27. Lewis
      28. Olivares
      29. Barrera
      30. Tyson
      31. Hopkins
      32. Gomez
      33. Trinidad
      34. McCallum
      35. Zarate
      36. Lopez
      37. Calzaghe
      38. Chang
      39. Galaxy
      40. Kalambay

Honourable mentions to, Michael Nunn, Donald Curry, Marlon Starling, Pipino Cuevas, Ricky Hatton, Winky Wright, Carlos Palomino, Myung Woo, Bob Foster, Dwight Quawi, Gilberto Roman, Jeff Chandler, Jeff Fenech, Lupe Pintor, Eusebio Pedroza, Brian Mitchell, Aaron Pryor, Naseem Hamed, David Haye, Terry Norris, Gerald McClellan, Julian Jackson, Nigel Benn, Virgil Hill, Chris Eubank, The Klits, who all arguably or swayably should make the cut?

Also, apologies to anyone I may have shamefully forgotten, but i'm sure i'll be reminded lol..
      hahaha Pacquiao in at No 6? What ****ing tool! Pacquaio wouldn't even be in the top 100.

Comment

No Arturo Gatti? He at least deserves an honourable mention...

Comment

Working...
        X