Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev's HBO exclusivity contract is making undisputed champions a thing of the pass

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how Oscar, cotto, floyd, morales, manny, barrera, prince, etc, etc all had hbo contracts yet they all landed the fights people wanted to see, repeatedly

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Funny how Oscar, cotto, floyd, morales, manny, barrera, prince, etc, etc all had hbo contracts yet they all landed the fights people wanted to see, repeatedly
      Twas a different time for the most part. HBO was king of the hill with a bunch of money to make things happen. Nowadays they are still king of the hill, but got a fraction of the budget they used to have & can't make all the fights they used could make with ease. I mean Loma vs Walters is is limbo, maybe Crawford vs Postol is in limbo too & those are big fights in their divisions among promising talents with some hype surrounding them that are with HBO & scream World Championship Boxing or Boxing After Dark. I'd bet if the guys you mentioned were just coming up or in their prime today they'd be in similar positions as the fighters around now due to the realities of the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Twas a different time for the most part. HBO was king of the hill with a bunch of money to make things happen. Nowadays they are still king of the hill, but got a fraction of the budget they used to have & can't make all the fights they used could make with ease. I mean Loma vs Walters is is limbo, maybe Crawford vs Postol is in limbo too & those are big fights in their divisions among promising talents with some hype surrounding them that are with HBO & scream World Championship Boxing or Boxing After Dark. I'd bet if the guys you mentioned were just coming up or in their prime today they'd be in similar positions as the fighters around now due to the realities of the business.
        I see what you're saying but regardless,, stevenson has held the belt for years and hasn't fought a big name..... Even if no Kovolev, what about froch, hopkins, Ward, pascal, bute, etc.... Stevenson has plenty of options but has not pursued any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          I see what you're saying but regardless,, stevenson has held the belt for years and hasn't fought a big name..... Even if no Kovolev, what about froch, hopkins, Ward, pascal, bute, etc.... Stevenson has plenty of options but has not pursued any of them
          There is no argument to be had over Stevenson's post-HBO career being underwhelming & misplayed opponent-wise. Stevenson may very well came out ahead with money vs his risk leaving HBO, but his overall appeal has dropped considerably & its not likely that he's gotten THAT much more money for the trade off he's made that now affects his current earning power.

Comment

Whatever, Killa Kov beats that chump into retirement. If uncle Al has all the cash, he can make it happen. If he doesn't come up with the money, a) he doesn't really have that money on hand or b) he knows Duckenson would get demolished and it isn't worth the risk.

Comment

Pass or past? Or are you not smart?

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                If uncle Al has all the cash, he can make it happen.
                If the networks were allowed to bid for this fight I'm pretty sure Showtime would come up with the higher offer with Haymon's help.

HBO won't allow that, though. They don't want to compete on the open market for the bout.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR KOVALEV! View Post
                  who cares, chickenshit and Killa kovalev couldent of fought a long time ago but chicken**** didnt want to... anything that happens after that who cares, cause that what it basically boils down to. Chickenshit didnt want it when he could have of got it.
                  Those of us who want to see the fight cares. Go elsewhere with that crap.

Comment

I blame Kathy Duva for being HBO's lapdog. Seems like Kov could have fought Stevenson when his last contract ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                      Nobody cares about this fight anymore
                      Yeah with Ward-Kovalev looming who gives a fk about Stevenson...let him fight Fonfara or Bieterbiev...

Comment

Working...
                      X