Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire vs Narvaez Clash Awaits HBO's Approval

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im surprised... narvaez is great but he is very small even at super flyweight... if u havent seen him fight, watch his fight against Rayonta Whitfield... its a boxing clinic against a great prospect. Anyway, i love Narvaez but this is a HUGE step up for him, because of the quality of the oponent... and going up in weight... and remember he broke his hand in his last fight against Seda... its too much against him...

Comment

Really don't get why the Darchinyan rematch isn't happening, but this is ALRIGHT I guess.

It's a shame we won't see Donaire against anymore of the top BWs. Our only hope is if Agbeko beats Mares. The Chemito-Morel winner will likely fight Mares if he wins, so Donaire won't get a shot at either. But if Agbeko wins, I know he'd fight Donaire.

Comment

Thought Donaire was moving up in weight

I don't get this fight. I thought Donaire's plan was to move to the heavier weight classes, and eventually be somewhere in the lightweight classes sometime in the future. Although this guy has an impressive record, he's going in the wrong direction!

Comment

this is a stay busy fight for donaire...since ibf ordered the rematch of mares and agbeko....probably his last or 2nd to the last fight at 118...donaire just trying to get his groove back...

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post
            Donaire awaits Narvaez go-signal
            August 19, 2011
            By Joaquin Henson

MANILA, Philippines - WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr. left Manila for the US yesterday to start training for his title defense possibly against undefeated Argentinian Omar (The Hurricane) Narvaez at the Home Depot Center in Carson City, California, on Oct. 22.

Donaire said it’s still not certain if Narvaez will sign the contract that Top Rank has sent but he’s optimistic the fight will push through. Apparently, Narvaez was HBO’s choice to be his opponent. Top Rank had submitted six candidates to HBO – Narvaez, South Africa’s Silence Mabuza, Mexico’s Christian Esquivel, Canada’s Sebastian Gauthier, the Dominican Republic’s Juan Mercedes and Venezuela’s Alexander Muñoz.

Donaire hasn’t fought since wresting the WBC/WBO crowns from Fernando Montiel via a second round knockout last February. He was set to stake his belts last May 28 but the bout was cancelled after signing a contract with Golden Boy. Arbitrator Daniel Weinstein later ruled that Donaire’s contract with Golden Boy was invalid, paving the way for a renegotiation with Top Rank. Eventually, Donaire signed a new multi-year deal with Top Rank stipulating a purse of about $700,000 for each fight. The deal was reportedly for six outings.

Initially, Donaire was supposed to fight twice more before the year ends. He looked forward to appearing in the undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito mainer at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Dec. 3. But Top Rank booked Nov. 5 for his next fight. The schedule was later advanced to Oct. 22 as Donaire and his wife Rachel, who were married in a civil ceremony in Carmel in 2008, will be wed in church rites in Alabang on Nov. 11. The Donaires expect to be back in Manila from the Carson City fight on Oct. 25.“I’m happy with the schedule,” said Donaire. “That was Top Rank’s original plan – for me to fight in October. If the fight will be in November, I would’ve stayed another two or three weeks in Manila. I’ve been working out at home (in Alabang) with Jonathan (Peñalosa) but I’m still about 145 pounds. It’s difficult not to eat rice three times a day when I’m in the Philippines. I just look at lechon and I already put on five pounds. When I start training, I’ll go back to my usual diet. I don’t expect any trouble making the bantamweight limit of 118. I know my body.”

Donaire arrived in Manila last July 28 to celebrate Rachel’s sister Nicole’s birthday. Then, he went to Tokyo with Rachel to visit their Japanese friend Dr. Osamu Kato for four days. They returned to Manila last Aug. 5 to finalize arrangements for their wedding which will have a movie theme and only 200 guests.

“I’ve gone to the internet to check out Narvaez’ style,” said the 5-7 Donaire. “I don’t know about his power but the tape shows he’s very agile, very quick. He’s short (5-3) but moves very well around the ring.”

Narvaez, 36, holds the Argentine record for most successful title defenses with 16 during his reign as WBO flyweight champion from 2002 to 2009. The previous record holder was the legendary Carlos Monzon with 15. Narvaez is the WBO superflyweight titleholder. His record is 35-0-2, with 19 KOs. He has fought all his bouts in Argentina except once in Spain, twice in Italy and thrice in France. Narvaez competed at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics as a flyweight and didn’t go beyond the second phase of eliminations.

As a pro, Narvaez has won his last five fights on points and five of his last six opponents were deducted at least a point. Among his victims were Filipino Rexon Flores, 2000 Olympic gold medalist Brahim Asloum and Colombia’s Carlos Tamara.

Donaire said six weeks before the Oct. 22 fight, trainer Robert Garcia will begin reporting for duty at the Undisputed Gym training camp in San Carlos City, near San Francisco. Peñalosa, his other trainer, is applying for a renewal of his working visa at the US Embassy and will join the team in San Carlos City. Garcia’s brother Mikey will fight in the Carson City undercard.

Donaire said after facing Narvaez, he will move up to the superbantamweight division and likely fight in January against the winner of the Oct. 1 showdown between WBC 122-pound titlist Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan and Mexico’s Rafael Marquez.

“I would’ve liked to unify the bantamweight championship but things are happening so fast,” said Donaire. “The Oct. 22 fight will definitely be my last as a bantamweight then I’m moving up to add another world title. I know there are big fights out there at superbantamweight and I can’t wait to take on the best in the division.”

http://www.philstar.com/thedeanscorn...bCategoryId=69
            Well You can all guess who's he going to fight next.

That's right guys you're all very smart, he's fighting Jorge Arce for his title next.

Comment

donaire wants an easy fight...it's his church wedding a week later. maybe he doesn't wanna go to the altar with cuts and bruises in his face.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but El Huracan is too small for Donaire. I mean Donaire towers over most of the 118's, what more for a 112lber. I know Nonito has a 4 inch height advantage but he'll have weight advantage also - and what belt will they be for super flyweight or bantamweight belts? If Arum wanted a stay busy fight for Donaire (and Darchinyan is still too much of a p*ssy for a rematch, can't Arum find someone at least in the same division? I mean Narvaez is nurturing a broken hand from his last fight for crying out loud!!! Donaire will kill this guy!!! Please HBO don't "ok" this fight...for the love of boxing!!!!

Comment

No difference from Donnie Nietes trying to move a weightclass to fight Champion Ramon Hirales. Omar's opportunity to take a belt and be a 3 time Champ.
                  Last edited by Chups; 08-19-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X