Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it always over looked when comparing the old greatsto today's fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol..a lot of those guys had to fight a million fights before they got a title shot/fame/money/etc...

look at hagler...67 total fights and walked away from the game, and only a step-and-a-half away from his prime...

srl...40 total fights and in his last two, you might as well say terry norris stopped (had mercy) him, and smaller man camacho ended him...but you can't be mad because as the a-side, he had no problem lining up hagler, hearns 2X, duran 3X, benitez...atgs there son...

how many atgs does floyd have on his resume?...none...only reason he's talking pacquaio now is because, at the tail end of his career, he absolutely has run out of options...

its a reason why the past greats are revered...when these new cats figure it out, maybe boxing won't be the niche sport that it is today...boxing is a blip in the sports section of the newspaper its that bad...ali or mike tyson sneezed and it was front page news...

...and the so-called fanboys are pathetic...you got cats like mr. dunn, who will go to the end of the earth to make up excuses for his favorite boy, instead of holding him just as accountable as any party thats involved in making a fight that could definitely put boxing back on the map...

give me the old school cats any day...those cats made big fights happen, not make up a bunch of excuses why it can't happen..., and if they put somebody in the ring that didn't belong in there with 'em...good night and everybody got their $'s worth..
    Last edited by djtmal; 12-18-2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      lol..a lot of those guys had to fight a million fights before they got a title shot/fame/money/etc...

look at hagler...67 total fights and walked away from the game, and only a step-and-a-half away from his prime...

srl...40 total fights and in his last two, you might as well say terry norris stopped (had mercy) him, and smaller man camacho ended him...but you can't be mad because as the a-side, he had no problem lining up hagler, hearns 2X, duran 3X, benitez...atgs there son...

how many atgs does floyd have on his resume?...none...only reason he's talking pacquaio now is because, at the tail end of his career, he absolutely has run out of options...

its a reason why the past greats are revered...when these new cats figure it out, maybe boxing won't be the niche sport that it is today...boxing is a blip in the sports section of the newspaper its that bad...ali or mike tyson sneezed and it was front page news...

...and the so-called fanboys are pathetic...you got cats like mr. dunn, who will go to the end of the earth to make up excuses for his favorite boy, instead of holding him just as accountable as any party thats involved in making a fight that could definitely put boxing back on the map...

give me the old school cats any day...those cats made big fights happen, not make up a bunch of excuses why it can't happen..., and if they put somebody in the ring that didn't belong in there with 'em...good night and everybody got their $'s worth..
      Exactly, look at Duran, has multiples losses but fought everyone there was to fight, and even chased the big boys to divisions he didn't belong in. What's sadder is that people try to make excuses for fighters not to take the fights, mother****ers aren't boxing fans more boxing accountants. There is a reason why boxing was a lot more popular back in the day, we(boxing fanatics, I mean it's a boxing forum) are the minority, most people give up on boxing quick because the obvious fights are not made.

Comment

I agree 100% with floyd,the annoying thing is when people buy into the 0 meaning greatness and what's even more annoying is the fact he could have achieved a whole lot more.he is now saying Khan isnt a big enough name when guerro Ortiz maidana and so on all are??? How do people buy into it.he is a supremely gifted fighter but has refused to test himself against the true elite,pacquiao is a truly great fighter tho.his list of opposition dating back over a decade he has constantly tested himself to the limit and is still having to chase a fight with flits who will not fight him no matter what **** he comes out with,the fight isn't happening.
        Hagler was a great,fought everybody,I thought he was a bad loser against Leonard,he might have won he might have lost,it was a close fight,u have just got to accept the decision not retire and run away

Comment

Originally posted by Cus tomato View Post
          I agree 100% with floyd,the annoying thing is when people buy into the 0 meaning greatness and what's even more annoying is the fact he could have achieved a whole lot more.he is now saying Khan isnt a big enough name when guerro Ortiz maidana and so on all are??? How do people buy into it.he is a supremely gifted fighter but has refused to test himself against the true elite,pacquiao is a truly great fighter tho.his list of opposition dating back over a decade he has constantly tested himself to the limit and is still having to chase a fight with flits who will not fight him no matter what **** he comes out with,the fight isn't happening.
          Hagler was a great,fought everybody,I thought he was a bad loser against Leonard,he might have won he might have lost,it was a close fight,u have just got to accept the decision not retire and run away
          see thats the difference between hagler, and these new guys...the haglers and the old school cats fought with PRIDE..., and i have to disagree, ain't never been haglers style to run from anybody...he could walk away from the sport, and look back and say, i fought everybody...in this day and age, we lucky if we get 1 true superfight...

Comment

Straw man argument.

Mind you we're talking generalizations here, but having said that;

Nobody argues that fighters from preceding generations didn't take easy fights, only that the best ended up fighting the best on a much more frequent basis (pick your set of reasons) and thus faced better competition, hence they are regarded as better fighters.

Comment

people had bills to pay back then, of course theyre gonna fight 8 times a year and fit in a few chumps with the contenders.

Comment

Because motha f!!!a roberto duran would knock lil Floyd's a$$ out that's why.

Comment

Working...
                X