Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
    please don't say that 'not having rocky in your top 3 is due to bias'
    Based on the pertinent definition of the word bias, I will only say that we may have a difference of opinion.

Comment

Rock is #1, him and Dempsey get **** because they are white. #Racialdiscussioninnitiated.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
        Rock is #1, him and Dempsey get **** because they are white. #Racialdiscussioninnitiated.
        I'm white and I rank Ali, Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Liston, and Frazier above both Marciano and Dempsey. I rank Johnson above Dempsey as well.

And just to prove that I'm white: I drive a 2001 Ford Taurus station wagon. And I have a Ramones tape in the cassette deck.

Comment

I have Dempsey #4 all-time. Damn I must be a big-time hater :cool9:

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            That's really not at all true and I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Even before the first Spinks fight, and the jockstrap remark, Larry Holmes made almost no mention of the "record". And I've never heard any fighter declare that as a career goal.

Is it the goal of all 168/175 pound fighters to break the record of Joe Calzaghe? Are young pros aspiring to shatter the mark of Sven Ottke? Once you realize how insignificant those records are, you'll understand why I dismiss Marciano's.
            I suppose it's a curse to retire undefeated. I've never seen Ottke box but Calzaghe was an excellent fighter. So he gets slack because he was undefeated? I personally think Larry Holmes really wanted to break Marciano's record. I think thats a big part of why he was so disappointed when he lost to Spinks. I recall the last few telecasts of Tyson fights before he lost to Douglas, Jim Lampely would end on the note that he was coming close to matching Rocky's record. I think records matter do matter in boxing as in all sports. Do we dismiss Holmes & Louis' title defense record? Do we dismiss Ali & Lewis' three-time title accomplishments? Hagler was always hoping to break Monzon's record. Honesty, how are boxing records insignificant?

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
              I suppose it's a curse to retire undefeated. I've never seen Ottke box but Calzaghe was an excellent fighter. So he gets slack because he was undefeated? I personally think Larry Holmes really wanted to break Marciano's record. I think thats a big part of why he was so disappointed when he lost to Spinks. I recall the last few telecasts of Tyson fights before he lost to Douglas, Jim Lampely would end on the note that he was coming close to matching Rocky's record. I think records matter do matter in boxing as in all sports. Do we dismiss Holmes & Louis' title defense record? Do we dismiss Ali & Lewis' three-time title accomplishments? Hagler was always hoping to break Monzon's record. Honesty, how are boxing records insignificant?
              Calzaghe is no ATG and his undeafeated record is a result of hiding out in Wales fighting tomato cans. He refused to fight anybody with a pulse until they were either well past-it (Hopkins) or completely washed up (Jones).

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                I'm white and I rank Ali, Louis, Holmes, Foreman, Liston, and Frazier above both Marciano and Dempsey. I rank Johnson above Dempsey as well.

And just to prove that I'm white: I drive a 2001 Ford Taurus station wagon. And I have a Ramones tape in the cassette deck.
                You're one of those white apologists!

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                I have Dempsey #4 all-time. Damn I must be a big-time hater :cool9:
                Huge. He deserves 1 or 2 and nothing else!

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                  Huge. He deserves 1 or 2 and nothing else!

Comment

Dempsey over Marciano and Joe Louis in the top 3

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
                      Dempsey over Marciano and Joe Louis in the top 3
                      Now's the fun part when someone asks you to explain why.

Why?

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                      X