Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French senate passes ban on Muslim veils...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French senate passes ban on Muslim veils...

I realize that most of us are not in France but this does seem like a moral victory for people who complain that certain cultures come to Westernized countries but fail to make an effort to assimilate.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1...dding_the_veil

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
    I realize that most of us are not in France but this does seem like a moral victory for people who complain that certain cultures come to Westernized countries but fail to make an effort to assimilate.

This is a tough question for me because I really don't think that government has any business telling people how they should dress. The religious aspect is completely untroubling to me, something which may surprise some of you. The political aspect however is more of a concern.

I will yield to the opinions of people like Ayan Hirsi Ali and Tarek Fatah on this subject, people who are vocal in their opposition to niqab and burqa.

Comment

Muh. So why don't they ban hoodies, facemasks (like in Japan) or crash helmets, then? Dumb move either way. The veil is only a problem if it's worn in places like schools, shops, banks or whatnot - obviously you gotta show your face for stuff like that.

And that whole "Ohh, it's a sign of women being repressed" yarn is bullshit, because we always hear about how independent women choose to wear it themselves. So why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to do so? A woman has just as much a right to cover their face with a veil as I do with a Scream or Jason mask.

Comment

I don't mind. I like seeing people's face.

The face-veil is not necessarily Islamic either.

Comment

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
          I don't mind. I like seeing people's face.
          What if they don't want to show their face to you?

Originally posted by DET. IRONSIDE View Post
          The face-veil is not necessarily Islamic either.
          Maybe so, but it's all down to interpretation. Some will interpret the words of the Qur'an as literal (and hence blow stuff up to make their point, etc.), and others won't.

Comment

make up should be banned too

Comment

I err on the side of government non-intervention, especially at the Federal or national level.

If localities vote to impose such laws, I find that much more acceptable.

In general, however, I feel assimilation should be forced on immigrants through societal pressure, and as a means by which they can advance in society in terms of employment, education, and social inclusion, and not by government dictates.

Again, I am speaking generally.

Comment

Did you know Tunisia,basically a muslim country also did it??

Comment

Good for France.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                    Did you know Tunisia,basically a muslim country also did it??
                    no, I had no idea. I am not really big on politics - I only think this is relevant for the same reason Squeal was alluding to. I hate that politics and religion are crossing over like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X