An Interesting Study on Boxing Fans compared to UFC & WWE Fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
    Interesting.

I'm surprised boxing has more female fans.

I used to always hear some dumb broad talk about UFC in the office to other male staffers and seeking their approval.
    thanks to sergio

Comment

I don't know any black people that like Wrestling or MMA and I know tons of Latinos that do. I'm not buying those #'s.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        16.6 million "avid" boxing fans

I guess they must have seen all the Rocky movies so.
        lol they can name 4 boxers with one being fake and 2 being retired

Comment

I think the problem is WWE and UFC aren't sports. They are promotional companies with their own title belts.

They have grown so large they essentially with the odd exception monopolize the sport which isn't happening in boxing. The ideal scenario would be if Golden Boy said screw the WBC, WBO, IBF and WBA. Created their own title belt and then they wouldn't have to create and market stars with an easy way to the top because every fight is in house (if they team up with the smaller promoters like Dibella), that way we get the best fights.

It would take Golden Boy a lot more signings to make possible, they would essentially have to outbid top rank out of every star running down their contract and every prospect, we would get a consensus no. 1 most of the time. UFC also give incentives, like Fight of the night, KO of the night on cards making them more exciting for fans of the sports leading to word of mouth etc etc.

Comment

Pretty neat stats. Most family incomes above $250,000 a year.....pretty interesting.

Comment

Boxing has more trouble creating stars because it's so fractured. If there were a central boxing org I believe they would have a much easier time marketing, creating iden****** for their fighters, and creating the best fights. Without that, boxing will always be difficult for new fans to embrace.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                Doesn't mean much to me. I got friends who were all wrestlers in high school, so naturally they kept to UFC. I'm not tryna downplay MMA or anything, but whenever they host UFC PPVs... most of the time we're all disappointing and the main events have been a lot of grappling.

I just don't get it tbh, to me it's choosing it like this..

"boring" as well as BORING 10-12 rounders
                slug match 10-12 rounders

or

10+ minutes of grappling with a 3-5 punch TKO/flash knockdown 2-3 punch TKO
                1 punch KO because of sloppy fundamentals/balance

I remember when Forrest Griffin got KOd by a backwards ****in jab by Anderson Silva.. what a joke!
                You are completely wrong, imagine someone like yourself trying to get someone into boxing and you show them a Mayweather fight and they go in expecting a slugfest they will 9/10 times be disappointed, it's a similar concept to what you just said.

I don't know how many UFC PPV's you have watched but it's a similar concept in UFC, if you watch two guys with great standup (there boxing will never be as good as in actual boxing, but they have to behave differently due to risk of takedowns etc) that prefer to stand up then you can get a great stand up fight, you won't get boxing purists in UFC but Anderson Silva's stand up is certainly entertaining.

Then on the other side you get a stand up fighter and a wrestler/BJJ against each other, unless the stand up guy can snuff takedown attempts etc. then it will probably end up on the floor. And then you have two guys with great ground game.

I don't mind ground game, it's not as entertaining to me as stand up but I can appreciate how hard it is, the same way someone might not appreciate a Hopkins boxing masterclass, or someone watching Wlad jab someone to death.

Perhaps if you are invited to a UFC PPV have a look at the type of fighter your going to be watching, GSP isn't going to light your world up since it's his ground game that's most impressive but if you see two guys with a reputation for good stand up then you might enjoy it.

Comment

Most boxing fans are like Dana White. They know a bit of it but they don't know who people like Marquez are. Example, doesn't have to necessarily be Marquez but you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                    You are completely wrong, imagine someone like yourself trying to get someone into boxing and you show them a Mayweather fight and they go in expecting a slugfest they will 9/10 times be disappointed, it's a similar concept to what you just said.

I don't know how many UFC PPV's you have watched but it's a similar concept in UFC, if you watch two guys with great standup (there boxing will never be as good as in actual boxing, but they have to behave differently due to risk of takedowns etc) that prefer to stand up then you can get a great stand up fight, you won't get boxing purists in UFC but Anderson Silva's stand up is certainly entertaining.

Then on the other side you get a stand up fighter and a wrestler/BJJ against each other, unless the stand up guy can snuff takedown attempts etc. then it will probably end up on the floor. And then you have two guys with great ground game.

I don't mind ground game, it's not as entertaining to me as stand up but I can appreciate how hard it is, the same way someone might not appreciate a Hopkins boxing masterclass, or someone watching Wlad jab someone to death.

Perhaps if you are invited to a UFC PPV have a look at the type of fighter your going to be watching, GSP isn't going to light your world up since it's his ground game that's most impressive but if you see two guys with a reputation for good stand up then you might enjoy it.
                    Ehh, I mean I've seen some(kinda) entertaining fights on UFC. I'm not gonna lie tho, I've seen maybe 8-12 UFC PPVs, and a lot of the time the fights on the cards turned out more entertaining than the main event.

On a side note I still can't believe some people I knew thought Sonnen would ever in his mind beat Silva or Jones.. ridiculous.

Comment

Interesting stats. I feel like on a Global level Boxing has many more fans than MMA just my opinion I feel like Boxing is much more of a world sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X