Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thankful at 29: Donaire throws yacht b-day party; talks about Pacquiao-JMM 3

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankful at 29: Donaire throws yacht b-day party; talks about Pacquiao-JMM 3

Thankful at 29: Donaire throws yacht b-day party; talks about Pacquiao-JMM 3

by Dennis 'D Source' Guillermo, Filipino Sports Examiner
    November 17, 2011

Manila Bay, Philippines -- With the Manila skyline as his backdrop, Nonito Donaire, Jr. did his best Jay-Z impersonation and celebrated his 29th birthday together with his closest friends and family by hosting a yacht party, 'big pimpin' on a boat at the Manila Bay waters.

And how can you blame the guy? From nabbing the WBO and WBC bantamweight belts from Fernando Montiel, to cracking the Top 3 of the bible of boxing's Pound-4-Pound Best list, to signing a handsome 3-year extension with Top Rank Promotions and his church wedding last week to his wife Rachel, the guy has had a big year.

"It's amazing man, I can't complain. Everything from the first fight to my last fight this year, victories, I got my friends and family, and I got to celebrate the most beautiful thing in my life right now, which is to get married to my wife. It's been incredible," Donaire told me.

How does one top a big year like that? I asked.

"If I can do something to help out, and inspire and give people something back in their hearts, through boxing, if I can keep winning my fights, just keep going with it, and keep doing things to inspire people... I don't know. God always has his plans for us, one thing's for sure is that I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing; respect the people that respect me and love the people that love me. It's all about them [...] the fight fans, much love! I owe them a lot, that's why I need to keep training, keep winning, and look good every time," Donaire replied with a grateful look.

Still a topic of debate among Filipino boxing fans, I asked Donaire what his thoughts were on last week's big fight between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.

Donaire was in Bohol busy touring his friend and family around his birthplace while vacationing as well when the fight aired.

"We had a radio on the cell phone and we were listening like it was the 50's or the 20's or something like that. It was pretty exciting, but we really didn't know how the fight went, because we only heard the punch-for-punch (radio commentary) or something like that," Donaire said, and added, "but from what I've heard and read, it was a close fight. One thing I could say is that a win is a win. A judge's decision is always going to be a judge's decision, that's what people got to understand."

"If it's a close fight and the guy (challenger) didn't do enough, and even if he did enough, but if it's still really close, that doesn't mean he'll win. Every judge and everyone has their own opinion. If one of the judges likes a tactical guy, he'll favor the tactical guy. If the judge likes an aggressive guy, he'll favor the aggressive guy,"

"You got to be dominant especially in the last two rounds. If you know it's a close fight, you have to be dominant in the 'Championship Rounds'."
    http://www.examiner.com/filipino-spo...pacquiao-jmm-3

So basically if your the champ, all you have to do is not get dominated?
    Taylor - Hopkins 1, Hopkins was the champ and he won ALL the championship rounds clearly.. Caught the L.. Donaire knows he cant say Pac lost so he gives us the BS PC answer

Comment

Nonito went safe this time. Nice move Jun.

Comment

Disappointed in nonito here........

Comment

nonito has learned his lesson i supposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
            Disappointed in nonito here........
            He was listening to the radio commentary...

Not much he can say on the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by King Jaffe Joffer View Post
              So basically if your the champ, all you have to do is not get dominated?
              Taylor - Hopkins 1, Hopkins was the champ and he won ALL the championship rounds clearly.. Caught the L.. Donaire knows he cant say Pac lost so he gives us the BS PC answer
              Pac is a Champion and you got to take the fight from the champ. JMM didn;t do enough because there were too many close rounds.

He won 2 clear rounds and the rest were close rounds.

At the end of the day, Castillo has been said to have won VS Mayweather 1. I aitn talking about 2, I am talking about number 1. However he got the nod, and it remains his win.

Comment

Working...
              X