Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez III the biggest backfiring cherry pick in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zarco View Post
    I cant think of any other fight at the highest level with a prime boxing star at the peak of his career with so much hype/expectations behind him. Especially considering they waited 4 years to rematch a 38yo lightweight champion against the #1P4P welterweight champion.
    I'd say yes, because of the magnitude of the fight Pac had ahead of him with Mayweather. As someone had said before, a lot of people were on the fence on who would win between Pac and May before this fight with Marquez. Now many of those people are going with Mayweather. That may or may not be true because styles make fights, but the result of Pac JMM 3 has taken a lot of the intrigue from Pac/May. Even worse, it appears to have made Arum even more reluctant to try and make that fight.

Comment

I mean, if we're talking fights that are supposed to be easy but ended in upset, there have been countless this decade alone.

Pacquaio fought Morales just to stick his name on his resume on his way to bigger things. Morales wasn't supposed to have a chance. How about Mosley-Margarito? Another easy formality gone all wrong. Pavlik-Hopkins was supposed to be Kelly's coming out party. Ever heard of Rumble in The Jungle? Ali, having lost to Frazier, was supposed to be easy work for Big George.

It **** like this that makes boxing exciting to watch in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
        How can you cherry pick a guy you went life and death with twice?

Also, people complained about the catch weight, but while I said it prior to the fight, can anyone honestly say size was a factor after what went down Saturday?

And Age? yes Marquez is 38 but let me ask you this; Would any SMW and LHW be called a cherry picker for going after a 44 year old Bernard Hopkins (keep in mind almost all of those guys are younger than Manny by 3-5 years)? Also almost all the legit 160, and 154 are almost a decade younger than Martinez.....would it be considered Cherry picking if they went after a 37 year old Sergio Martinez?

This is a classic example of people seeing what they want to see.
        It was a cherry-pick because they only decided to fight Marquez because they thought that it would be a realtively easy win for Pacquiao despite the previous 2 fights. They obviously weren't expecting the fight to go down the way that it did, hence the term "backfire".

Comment

Most mis-judged cherry pick ever was DLH vs Pac.

Not only did Oscar get a humiliating beat-down - but it was the first that turned Pac into a bona fide cross-over star.

And then Arum used that to try to destroy GBP by luring fighters from there on the promise of fighting Manny.

Comment

Also, people complained about the catch weight, but while I said it prior to the fight, can anyone honestly say size was a factor after what went down Saturday?

And Age? yes Marquez is 38 but let me ask you this; Would any SMW and LHW be called a cherry picker for going after a 44 year old Bernard Hopkins (keep in mind almost all of those guys are younger than Manny by 3-5 years)? Also almost all the legit 160, and 154 are almost a decade younger than Martinez.....would it be considered Cherry picking if they went after a 37 year old Sergio Martinez?

Fact that he went life and death with Marquez makes it more of a cherry pick as the 'easy' victory would come with the sweet taste of portraying improvement to the fans.

The fact of the matter is his camp thought Marquez was shot, they thought he would go in and trade with Pacquiao leading to him getting blasted, they thought the added weight would slow him down. Those words came from them not me.

Comment

Pacquiao, Roach, Ariza, Arum, half the world was shocked at what transpired in that fight, how was that not a cherry pick? Obviously not every one is the same, you were probably one of the people who gave JMM a chance. But dude you are totally outweighed on the other side.
              Originally posted by willybullet View Post
              I'd say yes, because of the magnitude of the fight Pac had ahead of him with Mayweather.
              Exactly! This fight takes the cake.

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20. This isn't a matter of JMM being a cherry pick, but rather Arum and team Pac believing he was, based on his lone performance at welter. This is the reason the attempted cherry pick backfired.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                  Not even close to a cherry pick this year. Ishida-Kirkland.... Ishida was clearly brought in to lose and get destroyed.
                  Also I don't think it's a cherry pick.
                  yes the hell it was a chery pick.. and that ass whippin may have costed arum and mayweather tens of millions of dollars so from a financial aspect it just may be the biggest vherry pick back firing in history lol.. thats what team pacroids gets

Comment

Um, Tyson-Douglas.

Thread.

Comment

Too many people to quote, but in reference to what Freddie, Alex and Arum stated prior to the fight:

Let's be realistic for a second....outside of Arum, those guys trash every one of Manny's upcoming opponents.

Hell If Manny was facing Jesus, those clown would talk about how he was shot and showed no heart by not getting up after being crucified.

Comment

Working...
                      X