Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson: "I'm Not A Game Plan Fighter. I Prefer To Free Style." (Audio)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Johnson: "I'm Not A Game Plan Fighter. I Prefer To Free Style." (Audio)

Glen Johnson on how he believes sticking rigidly to a game plan can often turn out to be counter-productive during a fight.
    Absolutely Essential
    100.00%
    Fairly Important
    0.00%
    More Of A Help Than A Hindrance
    0.00%
    Depends On The Opponent
    0.00%
    Not Very Important
    0.00%
    Completely Unnecessary
    0.00%
    Other / Undecided
    0.00%

The interview was conducted on November 18th, before Froch vs Abraham went down. Johnson makes the statement at around 1:20.

Comment

Gameplannig is absolutely essential.

Strategy and tactics used in a fight can make an outcome complete different than what it would've been. It's tough to actually notice the difference, but it's most evident in rematches.

Look at what happened to Bute in the first and second Andrade fights. In the first, he did his version of sticking and moving and although he did great at it landing combination after combination, but Andrade made him fight at a pace he wasn't used to and couldn't fight for 12 rounds. That lead to his complete exhaustion.

In the second fight, Andrade was pushing the pace even more so than in the first fight, but Bute's adjustment of going to the body and using his counterpunching got him the fight rather easily. He drew Andrade into reaching with his right hand and countered with his devastating counter uppercut to the body and the end to what he couldn't do in 12 rounds in the first fight.

Comment

Working...
      X