Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using heavier gloves to build up speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using heavier gloves to build up speed?

Does this work? I've always believed it has my coach tried to tell me they slowed me down once. I can see them slowing me down while I am using them but when I put smaller gloves on I feel as though my hands would be faster. The gym provides us with 14 oz gloves to use on the bag and I think 18 oz to spar with but I usually bring my own gloves to hit the bag which are 18 or 20 oz I believe I definitely get more of an arm/shoulder workout but does anyone know if this will help boost my hand speed?

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
    Does this work? I've always believed it has my coach tried to tell me they slowed me down once. I can see them slowing me down while I am using them but when I put smaller gloves on I feel as though my hands would be faster. The gym provides us with 14 oz gloves to use on the bag and I think 18 oz to spar with but I usually bring my own gloves to hit the bag which are 18 or 20 oz I believe I definitely get more of an arm/shoulder workout but does anyone know if this will help boost my hand speed?
    I personally don't see how it wouldn't work, and i definitely can't see how it would slow you down coz ur not gonna build enough muscle to actually get slower from doing that. its not like lifting heavy weights

I wear heavier gloves too and I actually keep em on sometimes when I shadowbox and when they make us do **** like Polish rounds (which is basically running on the spot & punching for a whole round.)

Comment

It works just not optimally. The nervious system recruits more muscle fibres due to the heavier load and when you take the gloves off and use smaller ones you trick your body into thinking they are still lighter ones and you end up faster and using more of your muscle fibres than usual. Its also good for the muscular endurance needed to keep your hands up at all times.

The down side is alot of the force is going down with gravity, when you really want the force to go horizontally, you could use elastic bands under your arm pits around your upper back and attached to the inside of your hands, but elastic is hardest when it is being stretched so you de accelerate near the end of the punch this is not good for punching either, but the benifits of the increased muscular recruitment outway the down side but again not optimal.

Close to optimal would be punching while under water up to your head something like that. I think ive seen the Klitchkos doing it, so yea you could do that if you ever do swimming for cardio, which makes for good variety since its easy on the joints.
      Last edited by AlexKid; 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Ross Enamait mentioned yesterday on his blog that Jack Dempsey was a fan of having beginners shadowbox with gloves on. To build their muscular endurance.

Nothing was specified about how heavy the gloves should be though.

Comment

4oz above fight gloves is fine for shadowing, also wear your cup belt! Never fully extend the punches you can work from 25% out to 75% of the punch length but only extend the full length as your loosening up or shaking out!!!
          Reason is that you don't want to land fully extended you have no power that way. Your arm needs to be at some angle as the punch makes contact then move through the target! One pound in each hand running every other jog is also good. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            4oz above fight gloves is fine for shadowing, also wear your cup belt! Never fully extend the punches you can work from 25% out to 75% of the punch length but only extend the full length as your loosening up or shaking out!!!
            Reason is that you don't want to land fully extended you have no power that way. Your arm needs to be at some angle as the punch makes contact then move through the target! One pound in each hand running every other jog is also good. Ray
            Thanks for the info.Why wear the cup belt? I've never heard of this I've seen fighters do this on tv never thought much into it. Does it help you more than just getting used to the feeling of wearing it? I've got wrist weights I think they are like 2 lbs maybe too heavy for running with

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              pro tip thanks

Comment

I shadow boxed with 2lb weights in each hand...........Rockin'

Comment

Everything your bringing to a bout must be experienced in the gym. Your protective cup must be worn to the point that you don't know its on!!! Your style shoe must be worn to the point that its a part of your feet. NEVER wear new shoes in a fight! Make sure your trunks waist band fits properly over your protective cup waist band!
                  I think 1lb in each hand for road work is enough. Your not building on anything its just a feel to put in your mind that the fight gloves are always lighter than anything you put in your hands during work. I don't like wrists or ankle weights their postioning can be unhealthy those pull and tug on tendons the muscle are used second. Never liked those things!! Put a weight in your hand (dumbell bar) and work your grip you can also use a tennis ball to squeeze as you run. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X