Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Amateur Fighters Train Different Than Professional Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Amateur Fighters Train Different Than Professional Fighters?

Also, for those of you close to fighters, do you notice a distinct difference between the way amateur fighters train vs. professional fighters.

I think amateurs should train a little different than pros. When you're only fighting 3 rounds, the fight will naturally be at a faster pace. Which means there will be more short bursts of intensity more frequently. So for this reason, I think 2 miles of sprinting intervals would likely be more beneficial for an amateur than a 5 mile, slower pace run.

More training geared towards utilizing your legs to get in and out is likely more beneficial to an amateur whereas a professional should commit a lot of time to learning how to fight WITHOUT legs.

I tend to train at less than maximum intensity for longer periods of times. But when I competed, I noticed when I exerted myself more, I got tired quicker and took longer to recover. Probably was a product of my training being more geared towards endurance vs. being able to sustain and recover quicker after higher intensity periods.

Thoughts?

Your conditioning regime should replicate your event. Long distance runners should not train like sprinters and vica verca. For amateurs after they have a solid basic conditioning grounding should train at a fast pace which replicates the fast 3 3 minutes of action. You train too long and at a slower tempo it will catch up with you in a fast paced fight. As far as running is concerned hill sprints is going to do more for you than 2 or 5 mile distance runs,that is if you have a solid level of basic conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
      Your conditioning regime should replicate your event. Long distance runners should not train like sprinters and vica verca. For amateurs after they have a solid basic conditioning grounding should train at a fast pace which replicates the fast 3 3 minutes of action. You train too long and at a slower tempo it will catch up with you in a fast paced fight. As far as running is concerned hill sprints is going to do more for you than 2 or 5 mile distance runs,that is if you have a solid level of basic conditioning.
      Good point...

Comment

Its funny to hear someone refer to the 3 rounds in an amatuer bout as "only"!!
        It just increases the intensity and the bout is on the line in the first round!!
        As for leg work my amatuers trained as if they were pros other than methods used in "only " three rounds such as breaking down a fighters stamina through body work. We use all are combinations and certainly go to the body but its not part of the methodology in the amatuers. If we see an opponent is weak ofcourse we zone in but for the most part body shots are missed by the judges and its ALWAYS been like that. . Leg work was the same minus extensive distances because your legs are what keeps your butt off the canvas so theres little difference between amatuer and pro leg work other than distances! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Its funny to hear someone refer to the 3 rounds in an amatuer bout as "only"!!
          It just increases the intensity and the bout is on the line in the first round!!
          As for leg work my amatuers trained as if they were pros other than methods used in "only " three rounds such as breaking down a fighters stamina through body work. We use all are combinations and certainly go to the body but its not part of the methodology in the amatuers. If we see an opponent is weak ofcourse we zone in but for the most part body shots are missed by the judges and its ALWAYS been like that. . Leg work was the same minus extensive distances because your legs are what keeps your butt off the canvas so theres little difference between amatuer and pro leg work other than distances! Ray.
          Yea, I'm not inferring 3 rounds is a cake walk. You saw my video, I gassed and those were only 2 mins lol. But 3 rounds is still a lot different than 10 or 12.

I agree that ideally, you'd train and aim to maintain good legs for 12 rounds. But I wonder if that is realistic for all fighters? Some guys simply may never reach that level of conditioning so you'll have to make sure they can still defend themselves without relying on their legs.

All in all, I really don't like the amateur style of boxing. I know the rules changed recently but I'm not up on all of the changes or how much more like the pros it will be.

Comment

IMO, no they shouldn't. I believe the amateur 'system' should be modeled/changed to become more like the pro 'system'.

As far as conditioning, while your point about high intensity interval training for amateurs is true, IMO its also true for pros. Ultimately, both(amateurs and pros) need a solid anaerobic and aerobic conditioning base. Need both.

Comment

Working...
            X