Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Be Real, Floyd Mayweather Would've Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson If They Fought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Be Real, Floyd Mayweather Would've Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson If They Fought

You can make the arguement that Ray is the greater fighter based on their resumes (at this point in Mayweathers career), but skill for skill Mayweather is the better fighter. Ray never would've been able to solve Mayweathers defense and Floyd would've countered the **** out of him all fight. People have a tendency to rank fighters of the past higher for sentimental reasons but the reality is boxing has evolved since the 40's.

I'm still confident Floyd will be ranked higher on most peoples ATG lists after he retires but if todays version of Floyd fought Ray Robinson at WW who do you think would win?
    Floyd "Money" Mayweather
    20.00%
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    80.00%

Are you saying Floyd is the greatest fighter of all time?

Comment

At WW? Floyd won't even step in the ring with Ray

Comment

Robinson was a lot bigger than Mayweather which would tell the tale. Robinson's losses were also mostly all to infighters/brawlers, not boxers.
        billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by California Love View Post
          Are you saying Floyd is the greatest fighter of all time?
          A fighters resume dictates how great he is so right now you'd have to rank Ray higher. That doesnt mean skill wise Floyd isnt a better fighter or he wouldnt have beaten him if they fought. A lot of you probably agree with me whether you'll admit it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President View Post
            A fighters resume dictates how great he is so right now you'd have to rank Ray higher. That doesnt mean skill wise Floyd isnt a better fighter or he wouldnt have beaten him if they fought. A lot of you probably agree with me whether you'll admit it or not.
            Let's talk about skills. In the higher divisions. eg WW

Why has Floyd been reluctant to throw sustained combinations?

Comment

SRR wasn't that much bigger than Floyd. From what is written, he was what 5'11" with a 72in reach. Floyd is about 5'8" with a 72in reach. Not that big of a difference. Also, from the film I have seen on him, Floyd may actually be "thicker" than SRR.

At WW, there is a possibility that Floyd could beat SRR. When I think about the fight, I just don't know how Floyd would do against that lightning quick left hook, both hooks actually. Then again, I don't know how SRR would do against the brain and evasiveness of Floyd. It's actually a tough fight to call. I can see Floyd losing and I can see SRR losing.

I would favor Floyd by a hair though, maybe 55/45. Unless those hooks I see on film are waaaaaaaay faster than they appear, which is fucking ridiculous if they were. I actually think Floyd could take him at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone Roses View Post
                Let's talk about skills. In the higher divisions. eg WW

Why has Floyd been reluctant to throw sustained combinations?
                He's a defensive minded fighter and he's become more of a pot shotter since moving up in weight. He's sharp and quick enough to break his opponents down with single shots. It's worked well for him and before you criticize his offense you'd better start paying closer attention to his punch landed percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President View Post

If greatness is dictated by resume doesn't it stand to reason skill is to? Make all the assumption you want, but Floyds skill has never had to be tested at the level of Robinsons over and over. How much greater would Robinson be if he only had to fight Floyds resume and ended his career undefeated with all ko's? Would that be unrealistic?
                  Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    SRR wasn't that much bigger than Floyd. From what is written, he was what 5'11" with a 72in reach. Floyd is about 5'8" with a 72in reach. Not that big of a difference. Also, from the film I have seen on him, Floyd may actually be "thicker" than SRR.

At WW, there is a possibility that Floyd could beat SRR. When I think about the fight, I just don't know how Floyd would do against that lightning quick left hook, both hooks actually. Then again, I don't know how SRR would do against the brain and evasiveness of Floyd. It's actually a tough fight to call. I can see Floyd losing and I can see SRR losing.

I would favor Floyd by a hair though, maybe 55/45. Unless those hooks I see on film are waaaaaaaay faster than they appear, which is fucking ridiculous if they were. I actually think Floyd could take him at WW.
                    Mayweather appears thicker because he's able to add more muscle due to the practice of same-day weigh-ins no longer being in place. Robinson would appear closer to his middleweight body at WW fighting under today's rules.

Comment

Working...
                    X