Roy Jones's downfall another side

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones's downfall another side

Roy used to be something special

According to Jones's ex finacial advisor and friend Stanley Levin, Roys downfall was caused by outside distractions and not taking his training seriously anymore.
    He stopped training, he stopped listening,” said Levin, who hasn’t spoken to Jones in two years though they both live in Pensacola, Fla. “Back in ’98 or ’99, I left him in 2000, I told him, ‘You’re not hearing me anymore.’ Every time I tried talking to him, he was acting like I was his enemy. He didn’t want to know the truth. I put 15, 16 years in with him. What it took for me to walk away from him, you have no idea.
    “There was a time I’d rather watch him in the gym than in a fight, he was so brilliant, and to see what’s happening now, I just can’t watch it. I remember he used to put a harness on his head with weights attached and he’d work his neck muscles so he could better take a punch. He stopped doing that years ago. He stopped going to the gym.
    Levin, who with his multimillionaire brother, Fred, took the hometown hero under their wings, said he doesn’t know what changed Jones. Maybe it was the “rappers” element the fighter started hanging with, Levin can’t be sure. Maybe it was Roy Jones Sr., whom the son regarded as not only as a trainer, but a tyrant.
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...ine-roy-jones/
    Last edited by General Zod; 01-31-2010, 07:38 AM.

it's widely known jones stopped taking his training seriously a long time ago

he was always mentioning how he
    had become lazy, nothing to prove blah blah

Comment

for me roy jones will always be special,he just keeps fighting but hes way past it

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
        it's widely known jones stopped taking his training seriously a long time ago

he was always mentioning how he
        had become lazy, nothing to prove blah blah
        I would say he had a lot to prove in Tarver III also if its a widely known fact whay do fans keep talking about the 14 lb weight loss?
        Last edited by General Zod; 01-31-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
          for me roy jones will always be special,he just keeps fighting but hes way past it
          I agree
          p.s-Benny the Jet was the manI first saw him in 'Meals on Wheels'

Comment

Originally posted by Afrosamurai View Post
            I would say he had a lot to prove in Tarver III[ also if its a widely known fact whay do fans keep talking about the 14 lb weight loss?
            like what?
            and i dont know why your mentioning the weight, doesn't seem to correspond to my post

and it's roy that said he's had nothin to prove, this is well before tarver/ruiz.
            obviously fans always got someone else for a fighter to fight

Comment

like what?
              and i dont know why your mentioning the weight, doesn't seem to correspond to my post

and it's roy that said he's had nothin to prove, this is well before tarver/ruiz.
              obviously fans always got someone else for a fighter to fight
              If its a well known fact that he wasn't taking his training seriously anymore then why do fans always look for alternative explanations? For example Tyson, Hamed and Eubank started to slack on their training and when they lost people would say thats the reason for it. With Jones it seems to be the exact opposite with people to this day always talking about his weight loss as the sole expalnation for his downfall.

Im gonna have to post this again in nsb, were theres more people to debate, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Afrosamurai View Post
                If its a well known fact that he wasn't taking his training seriously anymore then why do fans always look for alternative explanations? For example Tyson, Hamed and Eubank started to slack on their training and when they lost people would say thats the reason for it. With Jones it seems to be the exact opposite with people to this day always talking about his weight loss as the sole expalnation for his downfall.

Im gonna have to post this again in nsb, were theres more people to debate, lol
                because we have that excuse(of him being weight drained) which is very legit

if tyson/hamed/eubank were severely and obviously weight drained, you best believe people would be using that instead

Comment

because we have that excuse(of him being weight drained) which is very legit

if tyson/hamed/eubank were severely and obviously weight drained, you best believe people would be using that instead
                  Tyson was drained I think for the Douglas fight, but the Hookers, lack of training and taking unnecesary anti depression medication didnt help either.

Roys going to get himself seriously hurt if he carries on, hopefully he retires after the Hopkins fight. It would be a nice way to end his career.

Comment

tyson wasn't drained, at all

Comment

Working...
                    X