Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chad Dawson: The Bad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the low jab isn't a problem because he keeps both hands up when he is in his opponent's range. his biggest flaw in my opinion is how "streaky" he is within fights. he's either on offense or defense, and sometimes he takes entire rounds off.

i firmly believe that dawson beat johnson in the first fight, but i also firmly believe that johnson deserves a rematch. it's a fight that needs to be made.
    Last edited by rj_ct; 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
      i could see ward or dirrell beating him.
      Both Ward and Dirrell had problems with boxers, Ward judging from the Miranda fight will have problems with skilled sluggers. Dawson would **** up both of them literally, both Ward and Dirrell have no answer for Dawson's hand speed, they haven't fought anyone as good as Dawson. How can you see them beating Dawson? Dawson is bigger than both of them and would manhandle either one of them, outbox and knock them out in the process. They don't have the defense or the boxing ability to deal with Dawson's speed and Dawson is GREAT at dealing with boxers.
      Last edited by Boxingwizard; 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar777 View Post
        That's what his ******* promoter said, Dawson has said he wants to rematch Glen Johnson. It all comes down to the networks anyway, Dawson won't get big fights in 168, and the only big fights in 175 are Glen Johnson and Adrian Diaconu. HBO wants those fights, and what HBO wants, HBO gets.
        Really? I haven't heard that he wants to get in the dirt with Johnson again. It goes back to his post-fight interview with Karen Bryant of where he flat out refused a rematch. Max Kellerman brought it up to him and he didn't even acknowledge the fight it seems like. He just made the good ole claim of I'll fight whoever is out there. But I didn't here Johnson's name come out of his mouth.

Comment

I won't pay attention to him until he rematches Glen Johnson. Shoot, Mayweather beat Castillo much more convincingly than Dawson "beat" Johnson and Mayweather still gave Castillo an IMMEDIATE rematch. I don't support Dawson at all until he wins that rematch. And if he waits too long (it's already been a year), then he's just waiting for Johnson to get even OLDER and I still won't give him credit. Make the fight happen now. Not later. Next fight or else.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
            I won't pay attention to him until he rematches Glen Johnson. Shoot, Mayweather beat Castillo much more convincingly than Dawson "beat" Johnson and Mayweather still gave Castillo an IMMEDIATE rematch. I don't support Dawson at all until he wins that rematch. And if he waits too long (it's already been a year), then he's just waiting for Johnson to get even OLDER and I still won't give him credit. Make the fight happen now. Not later. Next fight or else.
            Given that Hopkins won't fight him the only acceptable opponent other than Johnson who is not as deserving but still dangerous is Tavoris Cloud. I heard he handled Chad in sparring. But if he waits too much longer to rematch Glen you're right, the victory if he happens to acheive it will be marginalized. There's been examples of controversial decisions of where the victor didn't act like a *****. As you pointed out the Mayweather-Castillo fight was a fight of where Floyd silenced all those critics completely. Even though we never saw a rematch of other close fights like Marquez-Barrera and Berto-Collazo at least the victors showed some class and didn't take their belts and run with them like some sissies when they were asked if they would fight a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post
              Lets get real about Dawson here. It looks like he has already admitted he wont fight Glen Johnson again unless he absolutely has to, which to be honest is a little bit unacceptable imo considering his name is being built on Hopkins and Calzaghe not wanting for fight him (which I believe they dont). Now im not getting into the Chad vs Hopkins/Calzaghe thing at length, im saying he needs to sort out his own unfinished business as well as making business with other fighters. He's not getting the 2 fights he wants anytime soon and so the best fight he can take is a glen Johnson fight provided Johnson isnt shot to **** after he fights Adamek.

Second thing is, Chad has a big flaw imo. He's got the Jermain Taylor syndrome symptoms of which are.

-Low jab hand allowing yourself to be hit with easy leads
              -Poor stamina late on in a fight

This crouching down with a low left hand **** that he did against Tarver was nutz for real, to be honest, if tarver had kept throwing the left hook or lead more he could have got even more out of the fight. Glen Johnson managed to jab him over his own jab cos his jab hand is low as f.uck.

The stamina thing aint great either, he puts so much into his shots, or that what it looks like on tv at least. I wonder if he would be better off saving some of his energy but putting less into his punches, racking up the points, and picking his power shots more carefully. Everytime he throws combos it looks like he's throwing them with wicked intentions, but he isnt the most powerful of fighters and it might be sapping his strength. Just a thought.

I think he is incredibly talented, but there are some corrections he needs to make or he is gonna find himself losing a fight, perhaps to lesser talented fighter because of bad habits.
              I doubt Dawson loses to a lesser talent. You don't beat guys like Adamek by accident and he's already accomplished quite a bit to be 26. I do agree that he appears to have stamina issues. But that's not surprising; nearly all fighters struggle to adjust to going the full 12. Whitaker used to struggle in the latter rounds in a similar fashion. A young Jones did as well. The great ones learn--in fact, the mark of a great fighter is his ability to control the pace.

It'll take a damn good fighter to beat Dawson. I'm not a believer in stats but but against Dawson, Tarver landed a paltry 16% of his shots...in a twelve round bout. And was very active...that's insane. Adamek could barely land too. As he continues to settle in at 175, he's going to be a major, major roadblock for fighters in and around his division.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                I doubt Dawson loses to a lesser talent. You don't beat guys like Adamek by accident and he's already accomplished quite a bit to be 26. I do agree that he appears to have stamina issues. But that's not surprising; nearly all fighters struggle to adjust to going the full 12. Whitaker used to struggle in the latter rounds in a similar fashion. A young Jones did as well. The great ones learn--in fact, the mark of a great fighter is his ability to control the pace.

It'll take a damn good fighter to beat Dawson. I'm not a believer in stats but but against Dawson, Tarver landed a paltry 16% of his shots...in a twelve round bout. And was very active...that's insane. Adamek could barely land too. As he continues to settle in at 175, he's going to be a major, major roadblock for fighters in and around his division.
                I think Hopkins could beat him...either way it'd be close but Bernard could limit his output and confuse him.

Comment

Even if Dawson takes the rematch with Johnson, it's probably too late. Johnson looks like he's aged considerably since the fight.
                  There are a few fighters who could beat Dawson. Tavoris Cloud would give him a hard time, and big punchers at Super Middleweight like Carl Froch and Librado Andrade stand a chance as well. A fight with Bute would be pretty close. I say Dawson beats Kessler or Taylor at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Executioner View Post
                    I think Hopkins could beat him...either way it'd be close but Bernard could limit his output and confuse him.
                    Yes...it would be a great like Hopkins. I'd be very surprised to see Dawson lose to a lesser caliber of fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by sylvestersweet View Post
                      Even if Dawson takes the rematch with Johnson, it's probably too late. Johnson looks like he's aged considerably since the fight.
                      There are a few fighters who could beat Dawson. Tavoris Cloud would give him a hard time, and big punchers at Super Middleweight like Carl Froch and Librado Andrade stand a chance as well. A fight with Bute would be pretty close. I say Dawson beats Kessler or Taylor at this point.
                      Speaking of Cloud I just read a long article over on Maxboxing and the basis of it was to explain Glen Johnson's situation. But toward the bottom Steve Kim was able to get a hold of Shaw and it sounds like Tavoris Cloud is the direction they might take. Dawson will either have to fight him or vacate his IBF strap. I think Cloud stands a good chance against Chad if he aint too ring rusty. It sucks that Glen is on his last leg though and Chad don't want none. It's also bull**** that the networks wouldn't accept his fight with Adamek. That would've been fireworks and Johnson would have got a decent payday.

Comment

Working...
                      X