Fights That You Heard Were Robberies But Found Out They Weren't

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
    *Sighs and decides he may have to watch the fight again*
    Howcome, did you score it for Leonard widely?

It's a matter of opinion as to who's punches you find more damaging, and for me it was definitely Hagler's.

I don't normally recommend this but, it is a good idea to turn the volume off when watching this fight.

Comment

I don't have it for Ray so widely, I just don't think it's very contentious that he won more rounds, because while he didn't get a lot done, he did get something done and Hagler didn't. If I remember correctly, I've had it 7-5 for Ray consistently and occasionally 6-4-1.

The way the Hagler contingent talk about the fight and so bitterly contest the result, you'd think Ray lost every round 10-7, is outlandish. I think he shaded a close fight. As I said though, it's always worth a review.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
        I don't have it for Ray so widely, I just don't think it's very contentious that he won more rounds, because while he didn't get a lot done, he did get something done and Hagler didn't. If I remember correctly, I've had it 7-5 for Ray consistently and occasionally 6-4-1.

The way the Hagler contingent talk about the fight and so bitterly contest the result, you'd think Ray lost every round 10-7, is outlandish. I think he shaded a close fight. As I said though, it's always worth a review.
        6-4-1 is a dodgy scorecard, wouldn't have been surprised if JoJo Guerra had that in a parallel universe.

Hagler's punches are more subtle as no-one, crowd or broadcaster seem to care when they land and when Leonard lands nothing they go nuts. Hence the reason for muting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
          It was tough fight that he might've felt he lost, I think it's rather understandable that after close fight with 2 knockdowns against him he might've felt that he's not going to get a decision. Later he admitted that, not a proof really.
          if thats what happened, sure. but it wasnt, you got it all wrong dude.

in the post fight interview directly after the fight ray said he thought he won. it was in the following weeks or months that he has had a change of hearts and admitted the judges got it wrong.

when he got some distance to the fight and watched it back he realized he had lost and to this day he says hearns rightfully defeated him.

1:40

case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            The only punches Chisora landed consistently were meaningless body shots and looping right hands that are half blocked and were only noticeable because Helenius' hair was wet.
            And Helenius didn't do **** the entire fight. Chisora made all the action. This one wasn't even close and if you think Helenius won then you have no credibility with me. The wet hair excuse is particularly weak.

Comment

Muhammad Ali-Doug Jones. Ali (Clay back then) won the fight fairly IMO. The crowd just went nuts when Jones threw a shot that came close to Ali.

On the other hand, I thought Earnie Shavers got robbed against Ali. A lot of others think the decision was fair, and I think even Shavers said in an interview for ESB that he thought the decision was fair.

I watched it and thought Shavers won clearly. Ali's little flurries mostly caught Earnie's gloves.

Ali was of course WELL past it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                Nah dear Assasin, what's definitely more likely is that as still active fighter not eager to get in the ring with Hagler again will not say, oh he beat me.
                When he's retired he doesn't care that much anymore, so he may say he felt he lost the fight. And he might've felt that, not a big deal.
                i dont see what him wanting or not wanting to keep fighting has to do with anything. the bottom line is no fighter would say he lost if he didnt think he did, atleast not without implying in some way that he thought he won. ray said point blank he lost the fight several times.

it is a big deal. a fighter is the last person to admit he lost. its ridiculous how even he can admit he lost yet some of his fans refuse to do the same.

that fight is one of my favourite fights in history, ive seen it 15-20 times. at times scoring every close round to leonard just to see how it wound up. there are 5 rounds you could give him realisticly, MAYBE 6. that still has hearns winning by 2 points and thats giving ray every competetive round, hearns won that fight no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Number 3 was a robbery.
                  i had pac by close decision in the first two and marquez by close decision in the 3rd but I don't think it was a robbery - last night was a robbery

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                    i had pac by close decision in the first two and marquez by close decision in the 3rd but I don't think it was a robbery - last night was a robbery
                    Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 is the closest I've come to stopping watching boxing altogether, I was very close to calling it a day.

Comment

Well I do, see a robbery with De La Hoya/Trinidad. And yeah, Leonard/Hearns 2 was close, but I give Hearns the nod. Even Leonard himself has said he thought Hearns won the second fight. And yeah, I agree Leonard/Hagler was not a robbery. Must be called that by Hagler fanatics or fans who focused more on Hagler's harder punches, but Leonard landed some hard ones himself and a lot more of them and he outworked Hagler and used his movement to avoid a good amount of Hagler's shots. Bottom line, Leonard won that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X