Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ankles are jacked up from running. What did I do wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankles are jacked up from running. What did I do wrong?

Whats up guys. I'm not a boxer but I've got an issue I was hoping you guys could help me with; I'm 24, 6'1.5 and I've been a runner since I was a teenager. I usually do 4-5 miles four times a week, occasionally five times, and i've been doing that with no real big gaps since I was 18 or so. This spring I got way busy and didn't run at all the past two months as well as slacked on my diet, and during that time gained 13lbs. That brings me up from 172 to 185.

Anyway, this past week I decided to quit drinking and get my ass back in shape. So Friday I hit the track and did my four. A little sore the next day, but no problems. I went back on Saturday and did the four again. I was tired as **** the next day, so I took Sunday off to not overdo it. Monday did the four no problems, felt good.

Tuesday was a different story.

I got about two miles in and my ankles started really hurting. I decided to not push it and just walk, but when I started walking the pain didn't decrease. It was so bad I had to sit down on the rail for about 15 minutes and walk the two miles back in a lot of pain.

I wasn't going to run today, but when I woke up there was zero soreness/pain, so i stretched really well and decided to try two miles. I got a mile in and the pain came back. I didn't have to stop, but I did have to turn around and walk my ass back still hurting.

My question is: what did I do wrong? Is it age? Are the 13 pounds I gained too much stress on my ankles? Is my body just out of practice due to my time off, and if so how should I approach getting back into the habit?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Originally posted by paulf View Post
    Whats up guys. I'm not a boxer but I've got an issue I was hoping you guys could help me with; I'm 24, 6'1.5 and I've been a runner since I was a teenager. I usually do 4-5 miles four times a week, occasionally five times, and i've been doing that with no real big gaps since I was 18 or so. This spring I got way busy and didn't run at all the past two months as well as slacked on my diet, and during that time gained 13lbs. That brings me up from 172 to 185.

Anyway, this past week I decided to quit drinking and get my ass back in shape. So Friday I hit the track and did my four. A little sore the next day, but no problems. I went back on Saturday and did the four again. I was tired as **** the next day, so I took Sunday off to not overdo it. Monday did the four no problems, felt good.

Tuesday was a different story.

I got about two miles in and my ankles started really hurting. I decided to not push it and just walk, but when I started walking the pain didn't decrease. It was so bad I had to sit down on the rail for about 15 minutes and walk the two miles back in a lot of pain.

I wasn't going to run today, but when I woke up there was zero soreness/pain, so i stretched really well and decided to try two miles. I got a mile in and the pain came back. I didn't have to stop, but I did have to turn around and walk my ass back still hurting.

My question is: what did I do wrong? Is it age? Are the 13 pounds I gained too much stress on my ankles? Is my body just out of practice due to my time off, and if so how should I approach getting back into the habit?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
    2 months is a lot of time to not run and then expect to jump right back on the horse. you just did too much in too little time and the 2 mile walk back didnt help.

id take off a week wait till your ankles feel better and then work your way back up. id do something like a mile 3 or 4 times during a week then 2 miles on the week end if the 2 miles is no problem then id do the 2 miles through the week 3-4 times and 3+ miles on the weekend if 3+ miles is ok id do 3 miles 3-4 times through the week and 4+ miles on the week end ect ect untill im where im happy.

if i find that i have problems with the weekend longer run id just rest for an extra day after the long run do the same miles i had done the week before but only 2-3 times for the week and try the run i had problems with again, no problems then i move on, if i still have problems i just repeat with the extra break and only running 2-3 times during the week.

id also reccomend the day after your longer runs be used for active rest like a 30 min walk, elipitical, or some light biking.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-24-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

omg obviously time off, xtra 13 lbs. u have 2 ease n2 it.

i mean come on manny f-ing pacquiao has 2 ease n2 it im guessing somebody who types on messageboards does 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        2 months is a lot of time to not run and then expect to jump right back on the horse. you just did too much in too little time and the 2 mile walk back didnt help.

id take off a week wait till your ankles feel better and then work your way back up. id do something like a mile 3 or 4 times during a week then 2 miles on the week end if the 2 miles is no problem then id do the 2 miles through the week 3-4 times and 3+ miles on the weekend if 3+ miles is ok id do 3 miles 3-4 times through the week and 4+ miles on the week end ect ect untill im where im happy.

if i find that i have problems with the weekend longer run id just rest for an extra day after the long run do the same miles i had done the week before but only 2-3 times for the week and try the run i had problems with again, no problems then i move on, if i still have problems i just repeat with the extra break and only running 2-3 times during the week.

id also reccomend the day after your longer runs be used for active rest like a 30 min walk, elipitical, or some light biking.
        Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take the next two days off and see if I can lightly jog a mile or so Saturday or Sunday. First sign of pain I'll stop. I'll just see if I can ease if up from there like you said.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take the next two days off and see if I can lightly jog a mile or so Saturday or Sunday. First sign of pain I'll stop. I'll just see if I can ease if up from there like you said.

Thanks again!
          np, i go into hibernation every winter and thats how i usually get back into the swing of things.

Comment

before you start your run, if you were stretching don't stretch too much. Starting out jogging as warm up is what I usually do then stretch post workout.

Comment

Originally posted by boxeDD View Post
              before you start your run, if you were stretching don't stretch too much. Starting out jogging as warm up is what I usually do then stretch post workout.
              i agree with this to a point.

you definately want to warm up before stretching, if you take a rubber band out of the freezer and stretch it, its going to snap.

but you dont want to wait till after your done your jog to stretch either, though you do want to strech after you jog.

I usually walk for about a 1/4 mile then do a nice long stretch before jogging. then as i jog ill stretch again every mile just with a quick 10 seconds hold for each stretch, and another long stretch after the jog. though i have tight hamstrings and get bad lower back problems if i dont stretch them oftenly.

Comment

Try cycling & running bro.Cycling is less stressful on Ur joints,that should help with Ur cardio as U ease back into it.

Comment

Working...
                X