• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ring: boxer of the decade

Joshua
    Harrisonville, Mo.
    U.S.A.

I'd definitely have to agree that Pacquiao is the fighter of the decade. There's really no comparison IMO. Mayweather has all kinds of technical skills, plays the villain (or heel) perfectly, but he just lacks the warrior spirit -- both in ring and in choosing his opponents. Undefeated means nothing when you haven't truly fought the highest level of challenges possible and don't fight like a warrior at least part of the time. Any fool can remain undefeated cherry picking and look good. I actually share more respect for defeated boxers because they've faced the worst kind of adversity ... that loss. Defeat is a more powerful foe than some realize.

As far as undefeateds go in the last decade, I'd actually rate Calzaghe higher than Mayweather on the thrills list. Sure he gets tagged with "slappy" and didn't face what a lot felt was the best challenges all the time, but he still "thrilled" in the ring. He was offensive, he was adaptable, he didn't bike ride, and he was vulnerable in the ring. That's a helluva combination for a fan, even if you only want to see him lose. His fights weren't always absolutely overwhelming, but they entertained for boths sides of fans. I can't compare Joe to Manny because, like Mayweather, the level of competition just wasn't there, and as stupid as it might sound...he never had to get up from a defeat and dust himself off. I know that last comment is foolish a bit, but not facing the hardest challenges really diminishes those goose eggs in my eyes. I'd have more respect for both fighters had they faced the best and lost than bypassing the best to remain undefeated. Sorta like the respect I give to Hatton for even entering the ring with either guy. I honestly don't know how he thought he could beat either(if he even truly felt that way...paychecks do crazy things to people), but he at least earns that respect by facing the challenge head on to me.

Mayweather just doesn't inspire. He represents everything a lot of fans hate about the sport(even though some of it is probably just his "villain" act). He more or less admits only wanting money, not wanting challenges, then jumps in the ring and fights like it. Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle, pot shot, pot shot, pot shot....wake me when it's over...
    Then when the bell sounds he jumps on his soapbox and yells, " Yes I am in fact the best." Everyone likes confident people, no one likes arrogant people, strike again.

Weight drained excuses or not, Pacquiao thrilled 1000% more in both mutual fights than Mayweather did. In my neighborhood we even joked that Mayweather's punch hurt Hatton less than the turnbuckle head shot did. We actually gave that corner the "W", not Floyd.

Pacquiao fought to win, Mayweather fought to out point. Technical skills or not, out pointing will never ever trump a KO. Ever.

Pacquiao has everything a fan of boxing could love, personality(in and out of the ring), a warriors heart and will, skills(which just keep seeming to improve), he's faced defeat and rebounded-which adds vulnerability, he's offensive in the ring, and he's not scared to be hit/hurt.

His overwhelming fans may drive us all nuts, but he really is a full package.

Was this the same article that was posted last week?

Comment

Deffo Pacquiao

Comment

great post...

Comment

while i agree with the author that Pac should get it, he gives the impression that he is a bit of a Mayweather hater. That seems to be the way with Mayweather, u either love him or hate him.
          I seem to be one of the very few stuck right in the middle.

Comment

not a hater, just saying it like it is

Comment

:clap:

Comment

Originally posted by pacman777 View Post
                not a hater, just saying it like it is
                ditto........

Comment

I disagree with this, especially if mayweather beats pacquiao. Very premature.

Comment

LMAO!

In my neighborhood we even joked that Mayweather's punch hurt Hatton less than the turnbuckle head shot did. We actually gave that corner the "W", not Floyd.

The turnbuckle and Cortez beat Hatton

:lmfao:

Comment

Working...
                    X