Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I suppose a stupid question, but is it possible to train "boxing" at home?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose a stupid question, but is it possible to train "boxing" at home?

As in, training with videos from Title Boxing or something along those lines?

I'm not interested in becoming a professional, nor am I interested in being a local star, all I want is to be able to defend myself against most people on the street, in other words to hold my own.

The biggest disadvantage I see with this is the inability to spar, those 'first few fights' with your acquired skills will not be as technical as punching a bag at home (no ****? right).

Nonetheless, do you think that 'things may click it' during an actual fight, with your psyche and mindset in an obvious whirl? At least with sparring you could train your mind to quickly resort back to techniques, I wonder if there's an equivalent you could do at home?

I have been training on a speed bag, and heavy bag for a few months now. I don't feel like I'm learning much.

I watch videos and try to imitate fighters, and I think that helps. I have significantly improved my footwork and head movement that way.

The whole missing a sparring partner really sucks though. I hope once I get to Boise I can find a gym.

Shadow boxing has also helped me.. I find not going all out on the bag helps. Think up situations in your head, and train them over and over.

Ive not been in an actual boxing match, but I think if I were to fight someone, I would have a significant advantage over someone who has no training.

Comment

no. also, sparring is not the same as fighting in the streets. sparring is a training routine and when someones hurt, he can say stop. In the streets the guy wants to kill you and unless you are very trained to that kind of stress or your naturally calm and aggressive you gonna freeze. also fighting in the streets can involve kicks, 2 vs one, kicking while down, knives, guns....not worty unless you HAVE to.

Comment

You need a experienced teacher

Comment

If you don't want to make a career in boxing you're fine, you're going to be in shape. But to fight you'll need a trainer, do the mits. You could spar with friends but won't be that helpful if they're not trained or have boxing experience.

What you can do is hit the bag and develop your punching technique, get in shape, and it's better if you have a speed bag.

Comment

i did it for 2 years..you can do it, but you wont actually learn anything..after 2 years i finally manned up and decided to join the nearest gym, all i did throughout the years was pick up bad habits and was trying to be like my fav fighter..seriously if you wanna learn how to fight, go to a gym..ive been in your shoes. seriously. join a boxing gym. foreal.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCIV6 View Post
              Ive not been in an actual boxing match, but I think if I were to fight someone, I would have a significant advantage over someone who has no training.
              maybe in stamina...but believe unless you have THAT mentality, against someone whos mad and wants to take your head off and is not afraid of nothing, maybe bigger than you... your advantage goes away BIG!

Comment

Originally posted by djsygo View Post
                maybe in stamina...but believe unless you have THAT mentality, against someone whos mad and wants to take your head off and is not afraid of nothing, maybe bigger than you... your advantage goes away BIG!
                Ive been in fights before. Not since I started training. I guarantee I would have an advantage over someone with no training.

Comment

Training at home can get you fit, but to be able to learn to fight (with boxing techniques) you will need a trainer.

Comment

You can practice technique at home but you need coaching to know what you should be practicing. You see lots of guys at the gym practicing and ingraining garbage at the gym that would be better off practicing correct form.

Comment

Working...
                    X