Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name some fighters who were not natural heavyweights who had success at heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name some fighters who were not natural heavyweights who had success at heavyweight

Fighters who were natural lightheavyweight or cruserweight who had success at heavyweight
    Last edited by Joey Giardello; 10-30-2010, 04:55 PM.

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    Fighters who were natural lightheavyweight or cruserweight who had success at heavyweight

Alot of the older heavyweight champions would be natural cruiserweights or light heavyweights now:

James Corbett
    Bob Fitzimmons
    Tommy Burns
    Jack Dempsey
    Gene Tunney
    Rocky Marciano
    Floyd Patterson
    Archie Moore
    Jersey Joe Walcott
    Ezzard Charles

There really are hundreds!

As for recently:

Roy Jones
    Evander Holyfield
    David Haye
    James Toney
    Michael Spinks
    Michael Moorer

Lets see how Adameck and Tarver do!

Comment

How could you forget Sam Langford, Sugarj?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        How could you forget Sam Langford, Sugarj?
        I'd missed literally dozens!

I'd been drinking with friends last night! I tend to think of Sam as being more of a natural middleweight than a lightheavy or cruiserweight (equivalent). Though.....with a bit more wit I'd have probably put his name down regardless! Ha ha

Comment

John Conteh
          Don Cockell

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            John Conteh
            Don Cockell
            I wouldnt really say john conteh had great success at heavyweight he didnt win no titles, didnt fight for no titles, and got his undefeated record tuck at the weight, then was advised to move down by ali and and the rest is history!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Alot of the older heavyweight champions would be natural cruiserweights or light heavyweights now:

James Corbett
              Bob Fitzimmons
              Tommy Burns
              Jack Dempsey
              Gene Tunney
              Rocky Marciano
              Floyd Patterson
              Archie Moore
              Jersey Joe Walcott
              Ezzard Charles

There really are hundreds!

As for recently:

Roy Jones
              Evander Holyfield
              David Haye
              James Toney
              Michael Spinks
              Michael Moorer

Lets see how Adameck and Tarver do!
              You make a serious mistake here my friend JACK DEMPSEY not a true heavyweight, how did you come up with this? He was incerdibly lean , because he wanted to keep it that way...You will be surprised to know that Dempsey was bigger in the bones than Joe Frazier, Joe Louis and lot of other heavyweights of even today. Just compare his tale of tape with Joe Louis, except the weight you will see the difference.
              Last edited by Greatest1942; 11-02-2010, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                You make a serious mistake here my friend JACK DEMPSEY not a true heavyweight, how did you come up with this? He was incerdibly lean , because he wanted to keep it that way...You will be surprised to know that Dempsey was bigger in the bones than Joe Frazier, Joe Louis and lot of other heavyweights of even today. Just compare his tale of tape with Joe Louis, except the weight you will see the difference.

No mistake at all. His fighting weight was around 187Lbs.

The question concerned light heavyweight and cruiserweight. 187Lbs in today's money is cruiserweight.

If he was fighting today, I dont doubt with his natural dimensions he would choose to fight at heavyweight.

But he chose under 190 to be his best fighting weight...........and that is how I have based my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  No mistake at all. His fighting weight was around 187Lbs.

The question concerned light heavyweight and cruiserweight. 187Lbs in today's money is cruiserweight.

If he was fighting today, I dont doubt with his natural dimensions he would choose to fight at heavyweight.

But he chose under 190 to be his best fighting weight...........and that is how I have based my answer.
                  Mate all of us are obessed about weight. Gaiining 30-40 pounds today is no big deal. Its the skeleton structure that matters. Jack was bigger in the skeleton than Louis, Frazier or even Holyfield. So these guys you don't see fighting as heavy too.

Its the bone structure that makes all teh difference Sugraj. Dempsey was a true heavyweight, he had the reach, wrist, chest and hands of a heavy. Dempsey at 187-190 is different to say Roy Jones or James Toney at 200. There was no cruiserweight division back then..So it is a bit of guess ofr us to believe what he would have done today. To be honest he could go both ways. I doubt whether dempsey would like to fight as a cruiser anyways

He kept himself down to that weight because he thought that it was his best weight. Not because he could not gain more weight. If you don't believe me , look at his tale of the tape vs Louis or Frazier thats all. He was bigger than Frazier or Louis. Bigger than most heavies you can be sure of that.
                  Last edited by Greatest1942; 11-02-2010, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                    Mate all of us are obessed about weight. Gaiining 30-40 pounds today is no big deal. Its the skeleton structure that matters. Jack was bigger in the skeleton than Louis, Frazier or even Holyfield. So these guys you don't see fighting as heavy too.

Its the bone structure that makes all teh difference Sugraj. Dempsey was a true heavyweight, he had the reach, wrist, chest and hands of a heavy. Dempsey at 187-190 is different to say Roy Jones or James Toney at 200.

He kept himself down to that weight because he thought that it was his best weight. Not because he could not gain more weight. If you don't believe me , look at his tale of the tape vs Louis or Frazier thats all. He was bigger than Frazier or Louis. Bigger than most heavies you can be sure of that.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to go with you on another back and forth argument. I dont have as much time as you, I'm at work! Ha ha

Dempsey's best fighting weight was 187Lbs.

Frazier's best fighting weight in his own words was 204Lbs.

I am only interested in what is a man's best fighting weight, this is a boxing forum! That is the only thing relevant to this thread. Dempsey's best fighting weight was at cruiserweight. If he bulked up to over 200Lbs his speed and workrate would be hampered.

There is nothing more to add here.

Comment

Working...
                    X