Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can YOU Justify the GGG Hype?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, GGG definitely passes the eye test. He is a good fighter. His power is also legit. In boxing, a fighter with serious power will automatically be hyped.

With that being said, he does need to step up his competition level. Some of this needs to be blamed on HBO. They've rejected both Geale and Mora to my knowledge.

Imo, MW is filled with solid B level fighters. There aren't any MWs above that except a healthy Sergio. I need to see how GGG does against guys like Geale, Sturm, Martinez and Murray before I crown him king of the division. He definitely doesn't warrant the top pfp/future ATG talks he's been getting. I won't say he can't get there but he has so much to prove first. Hopefully, some of these fights get made this year.

Comment

I think he's worthy of the hype. He hasn't really proven himself yet, but so far he's looking pretty damn good. Of course, GGG might be derailed sometime soon. Who knows? But it doesn't take an expert to proclaim Golovkin a terrific fighter if he beats the top guy in his division. There's no fun in that.

I think the last guy I personally hyped was Hector Camacho Jr. That was a long time ago. Young Hector looked pretty good to me, until he ran right into Jesse James Leija and got exposed.

Comment

And losing to Andre Ward wouldn't exactly prove he is a hype job. Ward is definitely #2 P4P in the world and many think he's the best out there. No shame in losing to him honestly...I'm more interested in what he does against Martinez and Sturm right now, then fight Ward next year..

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          He's worth of the hype sure...it's just hype...we will know if he's real when he fights Martinez or even Murray or Sturm I guess. He is blowing out every guy he's in with at least. That's what great fighters do against bums... Look at Peter Quillen, he struggles against the same level of opposition and people think he'd beat GGG...
          I like Pete. I root for him. But he loses to Golovkin. I don't think there's any shame in that. There can only be one number one. Too many fans get caught up in the very top guys, like everyone else is a "bum." Even if Gennady loss to someone at 160, he'll still be a vey dangerous opponent for anyone. Of that I'm convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
            And losing to Andre Ward wouldn't exactly prove he is a hype job. Ward is definitely #2 P4P in the world and many think he's the best out there. No shame in losing to him honestly...I'm more interested in what he does against Martinez and Sturm right now, then fight Ward next year..
            lol We're on the same wavelength.

Comment

Yes. I can't think of another MW i'd rather watch. If he is just a hype job then another titlist would be in a hurry to rip his belts off of him.

This year should be his defining year. HBO/promoters need to cough up the money to make the big fights happen. They should strike now while the iron's hot.

Comment

It seems like he does deserve it, but at his age he should have fought elite fighters (no, he hasnt fought a single one yet). Once we see him against top fighters we will have a better idea of what he's capable of.
                Lets call it as it is, this Adama guy was a joke, and an elite fighter would have ended him in 3 rounds.
                Last edited by FerFAL; 02-02-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

As of right now he's worth the hype because he hasn't lost yet. Even Andy Lee is a step up at this point. However, after Andy Lee, should Golovkin win, he should definitely step up even further. There's no need for him to move to 168 unless it's against an elite opponent like Ward, Froch or Chavez Jr. Golovkin still has a lot to prove in the middleweight division.

Comment

Well his hype will be justified once he beats the top recognizable middleweights.

It's pretty obvious he'll beat all the top fighters in his division.

Comment

Originally posted by FerFAL View Post
                      It seems like he does deserve it, but at his age he should have fought elite fighters (no, he hasnt fought a single one yet). Once we see him against top fighters we will have a better idea of what he's capable of.
                      Lets call it as it is, this Adama guy was a joke, and an elite fighter would have ended him in 3 rounds.
                      Martinez is the only elite level fighter at middleweight..and that's debatable with all of his injuries and his age...
                      I wish GGG was at 154 with Lara,Molina,Kirkland,Canelo,Trout etc...he'd be in some good fights against quality guys and then we'd know what level he is.. These middleweights are not that good...

Comment

Working...
                      X