Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the beliefs of "Evolution" and "Aliens" go hand in hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    What is needed for life to emerge is sufficient "food" (that is to say organic chemicals) and sufficient energy to catylize the requisite reactions.
    Yeah i guess i just wasn't thinking of energy in such an all encompassing way.

Comment

Stephen J Gould would disagree as laid out in his book Wonderful Life about a small primitive chordate back in the precambrian explorer from which descended all vertebrates. Studies of human evolution suggests that the first trait to develop was bipedalism followed by an enlargement of the brain and then the development of language (allowed by a single mutation of a gene called FOXP2) which resulted in an explosion of brain size. This is borne out in the fossil record.

Once thing that we are fairly certain of is that if we rewound evolution and ran it over again it may not necessarily result in anything like what we see today, and in any environment where intelligence was not of selective advantage then it would not develop at all.

Could you imagine an intelligent shark? A shark that can think and reason? Imagine how much of its resources would move away from producing offspring to fuel this intelligence. Now imagine a shark in the same situation producing ten times the offspring... which organism is the better "fit" for it's environment?

Intelligence is expensive in other words. Though there is evidence as mentioned to suggest that bipedalism may be a necessary precursor.

We didn't evolve from monkeys though, we evolved parralel to them from a common ancestor but in different directions.
      I know we did not, but these guys sure as hell looked like monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Shen View Post
        so if you put energy and water in a vacuumed sealed sterilized container life should appear? cause i took some protein mix some water and some oil boiled it and put it in a sterilized jar about a year ago and it hasn't even gotten moldy.

id imagine it takes more then water and energy to create life though perhaps not to maintain it.
        its not as simple as that, my example is to rid of the misconception that life requires sun light, as proven false by extremophiles, sunlight is only one source of usable energy life requires, hydrothermal vents miles deep beneath the ocean that spew out methane can also be a substitute, because sunlight does not penetrate into the deep abyss.

What is needed for life to emerge is sufficient "food" (that is to say organic chemicals) and sufficient energy to catylize the requisite reactions.
        I call it usable energy, that contains more extropy rather than entropy.

Comment

Originally posted by bbos View Post
          its not as simple as that, my example is to rid of the misconception that life requires sun light, as proven false by extremophiles, sunlight is only one source of usable energy life requires, hydrothermal vents miles deep beneath the ocean that spew out methane can also be a substitute, because sunlight does not penetrate into the deep abyss.
          It has been theorized that the earliest life used such a source of energy. After all there was no photosynthesis at the time.

I call it usable energy, that contains more extropy rather than entropy.
          The opposite of entropy is enthalpy.

Comment

Working...
          X