No announcement yet.

Films of 2012?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaded View Post
    Pretty hard to sit through a silent movie...I tried twice and gave up after 5-10 mins both times.
    Thats what I thought, but this girl tells me it's a masterpiece and insists I watch it with her.

Comment

The Avengers was the best film of 2012.

I agree TDK Rises and Amazing Spidey weren't all that. I questioned how Nolan could possibly top TDK, and I was right. TDK was a hard act to follow especially after H. Leger's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        classics are always nice to revisit man... satoshi kon's filmography is waiting for you somehere in the net... that should re-energise you...
        Any pieces in particular you would put at the forefront of that list, or should I just start at the beginning and work my way up?

Comment

Originally posted by RINGG View Post
          Is "The Artist" worth seeing?
          Terrifically charming IMO, I only didn't include it because it was out over here late last year. Better than all the films I've covered in this thread.

I think the best films, generally, are foreign, though, as the Emo Cenobite alluded. Fat Yank cinema is there to sell burgers and popcorn to Yanks (one of the labours of Hercules, surely?) and UK cinema is severely wounded by the lack of funding it has, and so looks towards the $$$$ to earn back its costs. That's why so many Green Teef films are full of "lovable" (ie. you want to stab them) eccentrics. It's a candy box view of the UK to sell abroad... kind of like how Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts can walk around Notting Hill without ever seeing a single black person.

Christ I ****ing hate Richard Curtis movies.

Comment

rundskop is one of the best films i've seen in a while. it was released in belgium in 2011 and won't officially be out in england till early 2013, but since the dvdrip hit the 'net in 2012 i suppose this is as good a place as any to mention it. super dark crime drama about alienation, fate, sexuality, and all that good shit. really visceral but it will get you thinking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
              Terrifically charming IMO, I only didn't include it because it was out over here late last year. Better than all the films I've covered in this thread.

I think the best films, generally, are foreign, though, as the Emo Cenobite alluded. Fat Yank cinema is there to sell burgers and popcorn to Yanks (one of the labours of Hercules, surely?) and UK cinema is severely wounded by the lack of funding it has, and so looks towards the $$$$ to earn back its costs. That's why so many Green Teef films are full of "lovable" (ie. you want to stab them) eccentrics. It's a candy box view of the UK to sell abroad... kind of like how Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts can walk around Notting Hill without ever seeing a single black person.

Christ I ****ing hate Richard Curtis movies.
              british cinema desperately needs to move away from the kitchen sink and set its sights higher. this pinterian parochialism just don't cut it no more. the only recent british film that stands out in my mind is tyrannosaur.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Any pieces in particular you would put at the forefront of that list, or should I just start at the beginning and work my way up?
                hey dude... how hav u been?

well, to really give the jaded(?)cinematic geek within you a massive jolt, may i suggest kon's "paprika" or "millenium actress..." the former is a little like charlie kaufman-esque stuff... the latter reminded me of billy wilder's sunset blvd...

he only has around 4 or 5 movies as a director so you'll have no problem consuming those treasures...

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  rundskop is one of the best films i've seen in a while. it was released in belgium in 2011 and won't officially be out in england till early 2013, but since the dvdrip hit the 'net in 2012 i suppose this is as good a place as any to mention it. super dark crime drama about alienation, fate, sexuality, and all that good shit. really visceral but it will get you thinking as well.
                  ive seen this movie. disturbing definitely...

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                    british cinema desperately needs to move away from the kitchen sink and set its sights higher. this pinterian parochialism just don't cut it no more. the only recent british film that stands out in my mind is tyrannosaur.
                    Thanks for the tip, I'll check that one out.

Of course, a lot of British cinema is constrained by the lack of ££££ in the industry. That's why classic British movies generally have a date before the 1980s.

Fifteen years ago Christopher Nolan was making a film about three Green Teefs robbing in London with his Uncle helping out in a bit part.

Comment

I'm watching "Savages"...and liking it. It's worth a watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X