No announcement yet.

"Rocky" Star Sylvester Stallone - "Calzaghe Will Demolish Jones!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rocky" Star Sylvester Stallone - "Calzaghe Will Demolish Jones!"

by James Slater - Over the past few days, it has been very interesting reading what the experts have had to say about tomorrow's hugely intriguing and tough-to-pick Calzaghe-Jones fight. Writers, commentators and fellow fighters, both active and retired, have given their opinion on what will happen in the ring in Madison Square Garden, New York..

Well, in Today's Daily Mail newspaper, movie legend Sylvester Stallone gave his two cents with regards to what will happen in the highly anticipated and heavily hyped super-fight. A big fan of both Calzaghe and his fighting style, the star of the superb "Rocky" films is convinced the Welshman will prevail - and in fine style at that.

"Joe would have worked in any era," Sly began. "He's like one of those classical 1940's fighters who could go 15 rounds comfortably, and he doesn't have to power you out with one shot because he's in unbelievable shape. He will sit there and pepper the hell out of you with an unorthodox style. This (Calzaghe's style of fighting) hasn't been seen in America for some time, so we dismiss it.

"Everyone expects this thudding, crashing, bone-jarring punching style - supposedly this determines if a man is tough. What makes Joe a tougher man in my estimation is that he puts himself in the teeth of the fire for a longer period to achieve his goal. Joe is one of the best boxers of his generation, no question."

High praise indeed from the man whose famous movie creation inspired countless real life fighters to get in the ring in the first place. After speaking of Calzaghe's overall ability and greatness, Stallone focused on the upcoming fight with Roy Jones Junior.

"I've seen Jones shut down huge men like Vigill Hill and I saw him blast John Ruiz almost off his feet, so he definitely has that ability to rock an opponent to his boots," Stallone said. "But that was Roy Jones four, five, six years ago. I don't believe he has the speed any more to catch Calzaghe with the overhand right or one of those weird, sweeping hooks from the floor, similar to the punches from add angles that Naseem Hamed used to throw. He will be easy to back up and he will fight in spurts.

"We have seen the emergence of European boxers, along with Latino boxers, and they have come to far surpass the quality of American boxers. American boxing has to accept that it's a rebuilding process or maybe a downward spiral. Our day of dominance over other nations is over. Joe is going to demolish Jones."

It's not clear whether or not U.S fight fans will agree with what Sly has said, but regarding his picking of Calzaghe over Jones - we will soon find out!

Source: ********boxing.Com

Carl Weathers picks Jones

Comment

had Sly been black he would of picked Roy to win no problem.

Comment

Stallone voted for McCain, nuff said

Comment

sly is a piece of ****. **** him and rocky!

Comment

Comment

Stallone is white!

Comment

Comment

My hero Sly, speaks the truth. He's right.

His speech impediment often left words mis interpreted.

"Adrian, I love Joe."
                  Rocky Balboa

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
                    sly is a piece of ****. **** him and rocky!

Comment

Working...
                    X