Larry Holmes vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes vs Joe Louis

Holmes had the better jab and would hit an easy target like Louis who doesn't bob or weave or have good head movement.

Holmes would dictate the fight with his jab,and bust Louis up with his right hand.Holmes is also the better defense fighter,and takes a good punch.Holmes also out weighed Louis by 15 pounds,and was the stronger fighter.

Louis would never punch unless he had "both" feet planted.So if you keep him turning,keep him moving,he can't plant both feet at the same time to punch.Holmes would give him angles,and keep turning him,keep moving him,and give Joe fits.Larry could also move very well,and Louis being slow on his feet would be chasing a bigger and better Billy Conn.

Style's makes fights,and this would be a nightmare for Joe Louis.I see Larry ahead on all 3 score cards when he stops Louis in the 12th round.Remember,Joe doesn't have the greatest chin in the world,and Holmes continueous left jab and right hand would take an accumilous effect on Joe to the point of a TKO.

Holmes wins an easy 12th round TKO.

Holmes would win but Louis would get some cracks in.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post

Holmes had the better jab and would hit an easy target like Louis who doesn't bob or weave or have good head movement.

Holmes would dictate the fight with his jab,and bust Louis up with his right hand.Holmes is also the better defense fighter,and takes a good punch.Holmes also out weighed Louis by 15 pounds,and was the stronger fighter.

Louis would never punch unless he had "both" feet planted.So if you keep him turning,keep him moving,he can't plant both feet at the same time to punch.Holmes would give him angles,and keep turning him,keep moving him,and give Joe fits.Larry could also move very well,and Louis being slow on his feet would be chasing a bigger and better Billy Conn.

Style's makes fights,and this would be a nightmare for Joe Louis.I see Larry ahead on all 3 score cards when he stops Louis in the 12th round.Remember,Joe doesn't have the greatest chin in the world,and Holmes continueous left jab and right hand would take an accumilous effect on Joe to the point of a TKO.

Holmes wins an easy 12th round TKO.
      ridiculous.. Joe Louis would murder Larry Holmes knocking him out before the halfway stage... ive read some silly things on boxing forums but the above analysis is laughable

Comment

Larry Holmes has the ability to beat Louis but Louis was a deadly fast accurate puncher who had a great ability with both hands, especially with the right; same right-hand that Holmes was vulnerable to. Louis was great at using subtle movements to set you up with a punch that could come in fast accurate and hard right on a vital spot that sets you up for one of his combos and finishes.

One of the things Atlas talked about with Tyson was that Tyson was great (at one point in his career) with "timing"...and Holmes could be hit with a right hand if timed right (according to Cus). And who has the ability to throw a fast accurate timed punch? Joe Louis.

So, I say it would be a tough fight but I could see Holmes winning as well as Louis if he is able to make certain things go his way. The Rematch would be interesting. That's where Louis is at his best after he adjusts and goes into Fight Mode.

Holmes is on my list of fighters that would trouble a Prime Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          ridiculous.. Joe Louis would murder Larry Holmes knocking him out before the halfway stage... ive read some silly things on boxing forums but the above analysis is laughable
          I think it's laughable that a 169lb Billy Conn is easily beating Joe Louis,and hurts him several times.

Larry Holmes is bigger and better than Billy Conn!

Comment

I rate Larry Holmes as the second best heavyweight of all time. I know I'm in a minority!

I do see him taking a decision over Joe Louis. Sorry!

I always end up disagreeing with Sonnybox. Its not deliberate, I just see Holme's style as being too awkward for Louis, Holmes was so fast and defensively adept, his chin was one of the best too. Louis may well have had moments, but I cant favour him in this match up.

Comment

i would have to go with louis. i think hed get to holmes too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                I rate Larry Holmes as the second best heavyweight of all time. I know I'm in a minority!

I do see him taking a decision over Joe Louis. Sorry!

I always end up disagreeing with Sonnybox. Its not deliberate, I just see Holme's style as being too awkward for Louis, Holmes was so fast and defensively adept, his chin was one of the best too. Louis may well have had moments, but I cant favour him in this match up.
                I rate him pretty high to, accept for the intense pressure fighters like Frazier and Tyson, he's hard to bet against if you give him room prime for prime.

His jab was so deadly fast, the quickest jab to date in the history of boxing. He had a long successful career with decent competition. the best names showed up at the end of his career however.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                  I rate him pretty high to, accept for the intense pressure fighters like Frazier and Tyson, he's hard to bet against if you give him room prime for prime.

His jab was so deadly fast, the quickest jab to date in the history of boxing. He had a long successful career with decent competition. the best names showed up at the end of his career however.
                  i dont know ali's was .3 sec out and back

but thats not the point louis would take holmes... smaller people are faster better at ducking and countering throw an extra 40 or so pounds on billy conn its a completly diffrent person its holmes and he wont be able to get out of the way....and whats the deal with jabs all you have to do is have enough stamina to keep your right up and stay out of the way for 12 rounds which idont see as a problem with louis as he had some of the best relexes with his hands as ive ever seen. it would be a good fight but i see jouis taking holmes down in the later rounds 9ish maybe later

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
                    i dont know ali's was .3 sec out and back

but thats not the point louis would take holmes... smaller people are faster better at ducking and countering throw an extra 40 or so pounds on billy conn its a completly diffrent person its holmes and he wont be able to get out of the way....and whats the deal with jabs all you have to do is have enough stamina to keep your right up and stay out of the way for 12 rounds which idont see as a problem with louis as he had some of the best relexes with his hands as ive ever seen. it would be a good fight but i see jouis taking holmes down in the later rounds 9ish maybe later

it's not that easy. Blocking constantly doesn't allow you to see. Even if the jab doesn't hurt you it still blocks your vision and you get popped with a bigger shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X