Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you were training your son

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do train my boys (martial arts) and its ironic because I am a big, not fat guy and my boys take after my wife who is 110 pounds! If my boys wanted to compete I would probably discourage it. I don't think it is in our (my family) genes to fight in a ring. I always did well but could not get the concept of point fighting. As far as MMA when it emerged, the guys I train for that event have a certain desire to fight. Me? I have to have a pretty good reason to want to go after someone and pound on them.

I only say this to make the point that I wouldn't know how to train my kids to want to do that to someone in the ring. I feel much more comfortable teaching how to use a weapon avoid and fight like there is no tomorrow when no other options exist.

Comment

Arthur Abraham, I'd teach him to sit behind a tight guard for 10 rounds and take his opponent out after he gets tired.

Comment

I don't have a son yet but based on my own abilities/genes I'd say my son will have Roy Jones jr speed, Marvin Hagler/ George Chuvalo chin, Thomas Hearns reach, JMM counter punching, Floyd Mayweather/Nicolino Locche/Pep/Whitaker defence (a combination), Sugar Ray Robinson-esque left hook, Roberto Duran reflexes, Bernard Hopkins' longevity, JMM Recovery skills, Arturo Gatti heart, Pacquiao/Tyson angles, Ray Leonard footwork, James Toney inside fighting and Julian Jackson power.

Comment

Points are the sport of the fight
          mma is to the death type fighting
          trting to squeeze into a sport of fighting. The sport of it is slowing down .the interest into a no holds bar type fight to the finish is what keeps intrigue.

Learning boxing at a high level and then mma to follow imo creates the best fighter. Start in mma you will always have that lack of points fighting for sport and lack hand skills and stand up skills because your used to not fighting without clinching grabbing or wrestling or bjj or kicking and leg strikes. You resort to non stand up due to the lack skills and confidence and capable or unknown resistance.boxers fight. And if they learn mma to follow they will not be afraid to fight. While mma guys in a ring or cage dont wanna stand and fight the boxer. So they resort.

Some of you say names . Do you know how to teach that style ? And for those of you that call fighters bums or cab drivers or pus sies , the most of you decided to pick styles that protect your kid defensively and styles you would just want them to learn to defend themselves not compete or turn pro with.
          If so they would be one dimensional
          .to learn inside game and pressuring your gonna lumped up trying to get in.

Nobody said basics to a T. What you be willing to make your kid go through to learn what he needs for success in a ring .

What strengths does your child possess? Is he tough ? Is he athletic? Is he easy to teach or a hard head.?
          Does he hit hard? Is he fast or slow.fleet footed or flat footed?

Some guy said if it was an orphan off the street then he would do it different.

Comment

My son is 6'9 so klitschko and Floyd for defense, But realistically he'll be getting paid to play pro ball next year. He goes to boxing events and I tell him not to think about doing that, I played pro football and we got hit in the head enough, boxing is crazy I told him look at the old boxers and how they talk. Youre gonna wanna live and enjoy your money after you retire and talk **** on Boxingscene, so screw boxing and concentrate on Basketball and Ill use your character on xbox live and talk sh*****
            Last edited by MRCHOKEaMF; 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

There it is.

My son and my girls box.
              I trip out on some of the stuff said here.
              its laughable and crazy at the same time.

My son can go pro
              if he ever wants to and have great success.hes set.
              my first daughter is an outside fighter/counter puncher.
              she is quick and fast and explosive.
              very athletic and slick and very skillful.
              her issue is with unpredictable brawlers willing to sell out.she outboxes everyone but when she gets caught by that brawler who already hits hard and outweighs her by 10 pounds she mentally and defensively and fundamentally breaks down at times. My second daughter is all basics and high guard.

Its a whole different world being the teacher trainer coach of fighters or your own kids who fight.
              What they go through , just to learn or understand. Thats just mentally.
              the physical part whole other world again.

All my kids at this point love the sport.
              the points , the pain, the glory, the domination . The watch it, and the
              understand its history. They love it like a kid love the NFL at 9yrs old

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                Lifestyle of Sven Ottke and hand speed of Calzaghe.

Joey's hand speed was from another world, i don't think it can ever be duplicated.

Comment

Brian Sutherland.

Go in the ring hammered and rocking a mullet.

Mayorga trash talk too.

Comment

My son doesnt have great speed (5years old) but he has a wide back strong leg he'll probably be bout my size so bout 5'10 and ambidextrous id really want a mw jmw
                    so id say
                    ggg power (kid hits like a mule)
                    Jmm combination and recovery
                    jcc jr chin
                    pacs straight left
                    Floyds distance timing
                    Tyson killer mentality
                    Gatti heart

Comment

Working...
                    X