Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Froch surpassed Calzaghe's achievements?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course he has, He could have done it the easy way by staying in the UK and fighting mediocre competition and then take a risk when everything is almost done, but he didnt and the loses on his record doesnt do him no harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
      Calzaghe UD Prime Kessler
      With Richard Olsen as trainer (who's most sophisticated advice is "punch more, punch harder, just keep punching him")

Kessler was unable to adapt in that fight because he had a loser drunk in his corner (and I can verify that in person). Just give him a decent trainer like Jimmy Montoya and the Calzaghe fight would look quite different.
      Last edited by nikosvault; 05-27-2012, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Whether or not he would beat Calzaghe in a fight, Froch took the hard way of a fighter. Fighting anybody, anywhere, and look at all the names. Calzaghe got the most notable win in Hopkins, but Froch's overall body of work is just so much more consistent to me.

Comment

No just no. The best fighters on Froch resume he's lost too, ward and kessler! And IMO he Lost to dirrell as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post
            No just no. The best fighters on Froch resume he's lost too, ward and kessler! And IMO he Lost to dirrell as well.
            I Agree...........

Comment

Calzaghe chose not to fight tough fights against the best when they were in their prime, going over and beating them when they are almost finished and then retiring and claiming he is the best doesn't mean **** really.

Comment

Froch's win over Bute in years to come will be remembered just the same as Calzaghe's was over Lacy. Both hyped up IBF champs coming over to the UK as overwhelming favourites and getting schooled.

I understand that generally right after a fight people get over excited but the same people who are praising Froch right now in years to come will try and discredit this win as we've seen done with Calzaghe.

No doubt Froch has the better resume but before the Bute fight Abraham was his best win and he's essentially a glorified MW. Calzaghe on the other hand took care of a PRIME Kessler after taking care of his mandatories for over ten years.

Moving up and becoming the lineal champ at LHW just seals the deal for me. If Carl beat Ward and Kessler at the first time of asking I'm sure no one can argue his superiority over Joe but he didn't but he still has time to add to his accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by komodo View Post
                  Froch's win over Bute in years to come will be remembered just the same as Calzaghe's was over Lacy. Both hyped up IBF champs coming over to the UK as overwhelming favourites and getting schooled.

I understand that generally right after a fight people get over excited but the same people who are praising Froch right now in years to come will try and discredit this win as we've seen done with Calzaghe.

No doubt Froch has the better resume but before the Bute fight Abraham was his best win and he's essentially a glorified MW. Calzaghe on the other hand took care of a PRIME Kessler after taking care of his mandatories for over ten years.

Moving up and becoming the lineal champ at LHW just seals the deal for me. If Carl beat Ward and Kessler at the first time of asking I'm sure no one can argue his superiority over Joe but he didn't but he still has time to add to his accolades.
                  People were saying the same thing about Froch last year. Every decent win adds to his resume and makes his case stronger. Calzaghe fought nobody but bums until the end of his career and then ran into retirement claiming to be the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                    Calzaghe chose not to fight tough fights against the best when they were in their prime, going over and beating them when they are almost finished and then retiring and claiming he is the best doesn't mean **** really.
                    Yes, I get the sentiment, but sentiment doesn't equal a good record. Froch is amazing, I like him more, he has taken on a better body of opposition in his last eight fights, but overall it simply doesn't make his accomplishments better altogether.

You can talk about Calzacky not fighting such and such in his prime or whatever, but overall he fought a decent set of champs etc and had a great career. Froch is a warrior through and through but overall he just wasn't as good. People of forget, of course, about guys like Robin Reid, Woodhall, Brewer etc, who would be up in the mix as champions right now too. It's easy to forget that Calzachy didn't just beat Lacy, Kessler, Bopkins and Jones. All of Froch's wins are fresh in our memory and they have been at a consistently high level. But, just fighting at a consistently high level doesn't mean you get props for losing still or simply for fighting guys.

Put it this way: Two best guys Froch fought, Kessler and Ward, he lost to. The two best guys Calzacky fought, Bopkins and Kessler, he beat. One common opponent, Kessler, beat Froch and lost to Calzacky.

Before anyone starts bringing up shot fighters, that's fine, just take out Taylor, Johnson and Reid for Froch. You're left with three people he beat, Abraham, Bute, and Pascal who were champions.

Fighting a bunch of ****e in between fighting the top guys and the champions doesn't mean you didn't fight those champions and win. Calzacky fought good champions, as shown below, and all the guys that were champions around his time, bar one or two like Ottke etc. The following list doesn't include guys like top contenders Andre Dirrell, because despite being a good win, he's not a champion and never has been so far. If I was to include him, I'd have to include the top contenders of Calzacky like Sakio Bika, Omar Sheika, David Starie, Juan Carlos Gimenez, Mario Veit etc etc etc. These guys were all title challengers, interim champs etc etc too. Dirrell, despite being talented and a hype job hasn't done **** so far apart from lose to Froch and have a weird DQ win with Abraham. He's beaten one champion, Abraham, so right now he's comparable to someone like Bika or Starie who has one big win too over undefeated Woods. I'm sure he'll become champ at some point, then we can include him. Until then, he's still just a contender.

Calzacky: 2 time, 2 division lineal champion at 168 (Unified/Undisputed) and 175 (Ring). 21 defenses at 168 and 1 defense at 175.
                    Roy Jones
                    Bernard Hopkins
                    Mikkel Kessler
                    Jeff Lacy
                    Chris Eubanks
                    Robin Reid
                    Richie Woodhall
                    Charles Brewer
                    Byron Mitchell

Carl Froch: 3 time champion at 168. 3 title defenses.
                    Robin Reid
                    Jermain Taylor
                    Glen Johnson
                    Lucian Bute
                    Jean Pascal
                    Arthur Abraham

Froch is great, he's current and unafraid of challenges, but he's not better than Calzacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                      People were saying the same thing about Froch last year. Every decent win adds to his resume and makes his case stronger. Calzaghe fought nobody but bums until the end of his career and then ran into retirement claiming to be the best ever.
                      His resume isn't up for debate although he lost to the best fighters in his division. And personally I wouldn't say calling it a day at 37 with the state his hands were in running off anywhere.

Like I said Froch still has a few fights left but at this point in time I favour Calzaghe achievement wise.

Originally posted by Floyddabesteva
                      Bute looked 10 times more skilled then Lacy ever did though leading into this fight.

Let's not shut the curtains on Bute yet,,

Lacy was true Hype

Bute could just be a great fighter who was caught on a bad night
                      Bute was truly exposed last night. The first time he steps up in competition he gets schooled.

To be ranked the number one guy in the division and take a beating like that is worrying. It would be interesting to see if he'd take the rematch in Canada but if he does and the same thing happens that could be his career over.

I think he can bounce back from this but he should stay away from heavy handed fighters with great chins like Carl.

Comment

Working...
                      X