No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Darryl Cunningham – The Pavlik Saga’s Forgotten Man

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Darryl Cunningham – The Pavlik Saga’s Forgotten Man

By Thomas Gerbasi - The way Darryl Cunningham thought things were going to play out, last night was supposed to be when he fought the biggest fight of his life against Kelly Pavlik in Youngstown, Ohio.

That didn’t happen. And while the biggest story of the past week has been Pavlik’s sudden withdrawal from the Showtime-televised bout due to his unhappiness with his purse for this fight ($50,000) as well as for a future one with IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute ($1.35 million), the reality of the situation is that Pavlik, should he mend fences with promoter Top Rank, will likely get another big fight eventually and this little debacle will be forgotten.

But what about Cunningham? You don’t see too many big opportunities like this coming around for 36-year old prizefighters who have never been on the big stage before. So when the Detroit native got the bad news from his manager Carlos Llinas Tuesday morning, it was not only a shock, but a crushing blow to a good guy who was just waiting for his time to shine.

“I’ve got to tell you something,” Llinas said.

“He had a look on his face,” recalled Cunningham. “I said ‘What’s going on?’”

“Kelly Pavlik pulled out of the fight.”

“Quit playin’.”

An hour later, Cunningham was on the phone, recounting the worst moment of his professional life, but being more than gracious about it. [Click Here To Read More]

This is not the only boxer who goes through a boxing career without ever getting that big opportunity.

But good luck to Darryl Cunningham, he sounds like a good man. Believes way too much in god, but if it's what drives him, then more power to him.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      This is not the only boxer who goes through a boxing career without ever getting that big opportunity.

But good luck to Darryl Cunningham, he sounds like a good man. Believes way too much in god, but if it's what drives him, then more power to him.
      You're right, I hope some matchmaker gives him a chance...he deserves the shot, Pavlik doesn't.

Comment

Cunningham had more people coming to the fight from Detroit than what Pavlik had coming and paying in Youngstown Ohio his hometown. less than 50 tickets were actually sold to the fight. Pavlik is nothing but a tattoed alcoholic mess of a person,not likes or respecred at home by anyone and mismanaged and mistrained terribly. retire tattoo loser.

Comment

Darryl Cunningham was going to pull an upset on Kelly "The Duck" Pavlik.

Comment

As I told people before he works out at my gym. I saw him a couple days working out and he seemed in good spirits.

Comment

He was supposed to make $20k for the fight. Top Rank gave him $5k for his troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by *Khan View Post
                He was supposed to make $20k for the fight. Top Rank gave him $5k for his troubles.
                5K isn't **** after taxes plus he had to pay his team. He may have only got like 1k profit. 1,000 dollars isn't alot at all. That sucks for him. Taxes generally take almost half your earnings and plus the expense of his team aswell.

Comment

I wish Pavlik nothing but AD luck...he's a real s**t.
                  A fighter before taxes, if lucky , depending on how greedy his mgr is, goes a set fee to the cut man, 10% trainer and expenses to sparring partners , which in a big fight the promoter covers a dollar amount to the fighter. Bottom line is he's good if he comes away with 45-50% of total amount.

Comment

If Pavlik comes back, he should have no choice but to fight Darryl Cunningham to make it up to the guy. Win or Lose, Cunningham needs to feed his family too.

Comment

Working...
                    X