Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Anthony Joshua need a strong America? Or will he go the way of the Klitschkos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Anthony Joshua need a strong America? Or will he go the way of the Klitschkos?

Joshua's got huge upside and could be a potential superstar. The problem is he got no American counterparts. Will this be an issue in the future? Or can he cross over without a strong American HW Division? Is he just going to go the way of the Klitschkos and be big in UK/Europe?

If he comes through a 'chin check' and continues to progress, he'll be a PPV star in the UK and Europe. Of course, to be big the 'States, he'll need to fight out that against other HW contenders. Pretty sure Hearn mentioned him fighting on an undercard out there in 2015.

Comment

Joshua won't be a big star in America unless a big american star shows up in the future. If Wilder is the real deal then Joshua will be big name in America if he knocks him out.

Comment

He could just relocate and pretend he's American and get away with it if he wanted. His looks match the stereotype for a HW champion in america.

Every time I've shown Americans who don't really watch much boxing Wlad/Vitali their first remark is something like "Huh?? But he's white!! I meant boxing not MMA."

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
          He could just relocate and pretend he's American and get away with it if he wanted. His looks match the stereotype for a HW champion in america.

Every time I've shown Americans who don't really watch much boxing Wlad/Vitali their first remark is something like "Huh?? But he's white!! I meant boxing not MMA."
          You must know some dumb americans if they think no white man boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
            You must know some dumb americans if they think no white man boxes.
            Yeah I know a lot of them

Comment

Well to reach the highest possible level he needs to be able to make some waves in the U.S..

He needs to be able to capture the public's imagination in the US, which does require American opponents but there only needs to be a couple good guys out there.

It is like the three bears, you neither want the division too good or too bad, too bad is obvious no opponents but too good is trickier because in those situation a lot of guys will get beat among them self and while one fighter may emerge unless they dealt a lot of decisive loses there will be questions about the guys they didn't face because of circumstance. That is on top of the risks of a too good division.

In any division what a guy really wants is a couple clear guys at the top with the guys in betweeen old fading guys and the fringe never quite will bes that provide a path to the top with good performances. That is no different for Joshua and while Wlad exists that is really good for him because he only has to beat one guy and getting to him is extraordinarily simple and I don't think he needs any Americans for that.

Comment

It took a long time for Lennox Lewis to establish himself in America and had it not been for Holyfield and Tyson I don't think Americans would've cared about LL.

Comment

i think joshua appeals more to american fans than the klitschkos or lewis did.

short of an american passport he is exactly what americans want in a HW champion. he is a big, scary looking guy going in there to knock people the fucc out. no nonsense style, no nonsense personality.

even without a partial american base like lewis and wlad i think he will be bigger than them and vitali in the states (provided he can become champion). joshua is the kind of guy who would only have to go over there once or twice, knock some fools out and smile for the cameras and he would be major in the US over night.

if the division improved in the states that would obviously help, but i think joshua could resurrect the division regardless.

Comment

The problem with klitchko isn't marquee opponents from America, it's his boring style.. He doesn't make exciting fights..

I think Joshua is much more fan friendly style will make him a huge star regardless if the heavy division is weak or not

Comment

Working...
                    X