No announcement yet.

Todd duBoef: Pacquiao will make about $30 million on Saturday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd duBoef: Pacquiao will make about $30 million on Saturday

Promoter says Manny Pacquiao could make more than $25 million from Saturday’s fight
    By Kevin Iole | Boxing – 14 minutes ago

Manny Pacquiao greets actor Mark Wahlberg (Chris Farina/Top Rank)
    LAS VEGAS -- Manny Pacquiao will make in excess of $25 million for fighting Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden and could reach $30 million if the fight does a brisk business, Top Rank president Todd duBoef said.
    Pacquiao's guarantee on the Nevada Athletic Commission contract is $8.595 million, executive director Keith Kizer said Wednesday. Marquez will earn a guarantee of $3 million. But pay-per-view boxers like Pacquiao and Marquez earn much more than their guarantees.

Manny Pacquiao will make about $25 million for fighting Juan Manuel Marquez (Chris Farina/Top Rank)
    Pacquiao will get a large chunk from his upside on HBO Pay-Per-View sales, which are expected to exceed 1 million and could equal the 1.3 million sales he reached for his Nov. 12, 2011, bout with Marquez.
    Adding in foreign television money, that will easily put Pacquiao over $25 million, duBoef said.
    DuBoef said closed circuit locations that show the bout are up from the 2011 fight between them, continuing what he said was a trend in Pacquiao fights. He said that despite the controversial result in his June 9 loss to Timothy Bradley, interest in Pacquiao doesn't seem to have waned.
    "We're getting more of the bars and restaurants, the chains, the Hooters, the Buffalo Wild Wings, places like that, buying the fight," duBoef said. "If [interest in Pacquiao is decreasing], I am not seeing it."
    In a study of the highest-paid athletes from June 2011 through June 2012 done by Forbes, Pacquiao was second on the list with earnings of $62 million. According to Forbes, Pacquiao made $56 million in purses and $6 million in endorsements.

Floyd Mayweather is the world's highest-earning athlete (AP)
    Rival boxer Floyd Mayweather was No. 1 on the list, with $85 million in earnings, all from purses. Golfer Tiger Woods was third with $59.4 million in earnings.
    Pacquiao and Mayweather each had two fights in the time period that covers the Forbes' study. Pacquiao fought Marquez on Nov. 12, 2011, and met Bradley on June 9. Mayweather fought Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, 2011, and Miguel Cotto on May 5, 2012.
    A fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao still would be the richest fight in boxing. Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said he thinks it could do close to 3 million on pay-per-view.
    Arum said fans are sick of the negotiations, but said if the fight were made, the interest would percolate again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...2324--box.html

Good for him but the key words would be "could reach". What are the condition that have to be met for brisk business.

Either way Manny is doing just fine but the way it is stated sounds more like an upper limit than what he will truly make.

Comment

I really cant understand the economics behind that how is pacquiao making more with each fight while his numbers are going down ? how does he go from making 10 mil to 25 mil for fighting bradley a fight that was expected to do low numbers ( low for pacquiao).

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
        I really cant understand the economics behind that how is pacquiao making more with each fight while his numbers are going down ? how does he go from making 10 mil to 25 mil for fighting bradley a fight that was expected to do low numbers ( low for pacquiao).
        TopRank propaganda.

Comment

They forgot to say "Pacquiao will make $30 million, but we will take 27% from there, as well as Roach and Team Pacquiao's cut, and GBP's percentage".

Comment

I don't believe that Marquez would make less than he made in the 3rd fight. I thought he got 5 million and a percentage of the ppvs in their last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
              I don't believe that Marquez would make less than he made in the 3rd fight. I thought he got 5 million and a percentage of the ppvs in their last fight.
              he probably took a backend heavy deal, since the third fight overperformed on ppv

Comment

Originally posted by p4p-champ View Post
                TopRank propaganda.
                Yup.

Pac could make that but the PPV would have to do ridiculous numbers. Mayweather was able to guarantee himself 32 million alone even WITHOUT his cut of PPV which is insanity.

Comment

Dan Rafael had him making at least $26m for both Mosley and JMM, so it's not a big jump

Comment

Originally posted by p4p-champ View Post
                    TopRank propaganda.
                    bingo

Comment

Working...
                    X