No announcement yet.

Duran vs Today's 154 lbs class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran vs Today's 154 lbs class

How do you think Duran would do against the junior middleweights of today? Duran of the Moore fight thrown in with Mayweather, Cotto, Alvarez, Trout etc

I was thinking of 135 and 147 but I think this would be fairer lol

duran is such an odd case in fantasy fights at 147 and above. he was a very good / great fighter with some solid, historic tier wins at or around the weight. he also had some bad nights. if he shows up in top form (and i mean top form - as good as he can be during his tenure above 147,) i think he could stop miguel cotto and UD alvarez.

if you took him on any given night at 154, without ensuring that he was well trained, he could lose to both. it's lame to look at fantasy fights like that, but it's the truth.

i think 154 lb duran would have a hard time with floyd mayweather, even today when he's markedly slowed. floyd would walk into the ring at 150 lbs, the height of his powers. he'd use his longer arms and look to slow the fight down and counterpunch. when duran got close he'd hold him.

i think duran would have the best shot to beat floyd at 135 and 147, but if you're talking about a prime mayweather JR they're fights that duran could easily lose.

and i dont care to speculate about duran's chances against the rest of the lot at 154; molina, lara, bundrage, kirkland, vanes, trout, etc.

i don't really care for any of them to the degree that i'll entertain the prospect of them beating roberto duran.

and at 160 i think he'd lose to martinez.

Comment

after leonard 1 duran was so inconsistant but he when he did show up in shape both physically and mentally he was still a very good fighter at 154.His chin was solid his punches still had to be respected. I am going to go with New England and say he beats everyone but has trouble with speed that both mayweather and martinez have. He maybe strong enough to rough mayweather up on the inside though.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

and at 160 i think he'd lose to martinez.
        Martinez would be a terrible style matchup for a middleweight Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Martinez would be a terrible style matchup for a middleweight Duran.
          Yeah, anyone with great movement and speed obviously troubled the fat bastard version of Duran. In shape, at 154, which was not very often, he'd beat probably all the guys today bar Mayweather maybe, though it'd actually be very close as today's Mayweather doesn't move much, fights inside a lot and can be troubled by good counter punchers.

Hard to say though. So inconsistent.

Comment

Working...
          X