Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones was going to fight Corrie Sanders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones was going to fight Corrie Sanders?

Following the Klitschko fight, Sanders was supposed to have a bout against Lamon Brewster, the WBO number one heavyweight contender. Sanders refused; he wanted a big money fight instead. Sanders was then offered a shot at Roy Jones Jr. for a WBA-WBO heavyweight unification, but the WBO threatened to strip Sanders if he did this, because Jones was not among the top 10 in the WBO's ratings

What would have happened is Sanders landed his left on Jones' chin?
    Instant Death for Jones
    33.33%
    Jones actually flies out of the ring
    33.33%
    Jones' skeleton liquifies and he turns into a pile of goo
    0.00%
    Jones head dissapears and is never found again
    33.33%

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    What would have happened is Sanders landed his left on Jones' chin?
    Jones hadnt really had chin problems at that point only Del Valle had dropped him at LHW and he got up and won. But taking a few shots well from Ruiz is NOT the same as taking a left hander from Sanders - he could PUNCH!

IF Corrie landed clean its GAME OVER Roy.....

Comment

I highly doubt that this was accurate. Now way would Sanders have turned down a big money fight against Roy. I believe that Roy probably flirted with the idea of making the fight, but ultimately didn't go through with it. Roy didn't like to take risk and I doubt he would have done the fight.

Comment

Sanders would've been too slow. RJJ would use the same gameplan he did against Ruiz and win on a wide margin.

Comment

You sound like, if a good puncher hits a bad chin once it's over. It could be, but come on? You make it sound like everytime it happens the fight is over. Wladimir has a bad chin, Haye is a big puncher and connected - nothing happened.
          Edwin Valero hit lots of times flush, but didn't always drop them.
          Roy would win a WIDE UD.

Comment

Heck I even see Roy Jones stopping Sanders...

Comment

This sounds something like the claim that Roy - seriously - called out Lennox. I have my doubts, although some have said it was a legitimate offer.

If it was I can only assume Roy had some kind of suicide ambition. I love the guy as much as any fan. But it would have been one of the most brutal beatdowns in the history of heavyweight boxing. I keep thinking of the uppercut that Lewis hit Vitali with and I see Roy being carried out of the ring on a stretcher - heading for the morgue.

Comment

I don't believe Roy was ever serious about fighting Lennox and based on what happened with Sanders, I don't think that's a risk he wanted to take. The move to HW was about big bucks, not seeking greater challenges.

Comment

Working...
                X