Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just returned from Haiti...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] So I just returned from Haiti...

I've been flying for the past 4 days to and from Port-au-Prince and I just can't find the words to explain the level of destruction I witnessed. I know this is old news for everybody but I still can't get over what I saw. Our arrival first arrival of the day on the first day I flew there was delayed by 30 minutes mainly due to the fact that the airport was filled to capacity and some of the lighter aircraft were being parked in the grass to make space for the larger ones on the tarmac, and it was still not enough to make some space for us there so we were placed on a holding pattern until a few ANG C-130's left their spots in order to depart. When we started making our way to the hold point is when I take a look at the ground and my heart just SANK. I have NEVER EVER seen something of that magnitude, everything is just rubble, and for the first time in a long time I almost cried like a ***** and it really took something out of my focus. I saw so many things that I've struggled to get sleep since. To any of you who haven't donated anything, please do so! just a few dollars for a few items really do make a difference. My condolences to the people who have lost their loved ones in this catastrophe.

That's crazy, and to think they are still getting hit with 6.1 magnitude aftershocks as of this mourning.

Comment

The situation and the struggle for survival have led the poor people get so desperate that they started fighting for food and actually hurting the people that are trying to help them .

Comment

And people if you're going to donate try and donate to secular charities which are already established in the region, like Doctors Without Borders or the Red Cross unless you want to see some of your money get moved into ministry type efforts instead of rescue, food and medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          And people if you're going to donate try and donate to secular charities which are already established in the region, like Doctors Without Borders or the Red Cross unless you want to see some of your money get moved into ministry type efforts instead of rescue, food and medicine.
          Yes, it will certainly get through with Red Cross, as we are flying in a lot of their items.

Comment

The devastation is incredible. I remember visiting Mexico after the earthquake in 86' and that was tough for me.

The problem with Haiti is that no matter what happens and what amount of money that is sent there, that country won't get any better unless those people chose to change the culture of that country.

The corruption in Haiti is bad even by 3rd world standards.

Comment

i ACTUALLY WORK FOR Lynden international. Our C-130 were first on the scene. I have already exported cargo there last week. I know its hell getting in. I couldnt even imagine being there at all. My heart goes out to all.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                The devastation is incredible. I remember visiting Mexico after the earthquake in 86' and that was tough for me.

The problem with Haiti is that no matter what happens and what amount of money that is sent there, that country won't get any better unless those people chose to change the culture of that country.

The corruption in Haiti is bad even by 3rd world standards.
                co-sign....

Comment

Damn, that's rough...

I saw some video from over there. Hard to comprehend something of that magnitude

Comment

Originally posted by Driver View Post
                    Yes, it will certainly get through with Red Cross, as we are flying in a lot of their items.
                    Red Cross always send a lot of material. MSF send medicall equipment and personnel. Either group is a good choice.

Sending to a religious charity is better than not sending at all, but oftentimes their funding goes to setting up churches and flying in clergy. Not something that should be a priority really. It's also better than sending to a brand new charity that has been set up as a "Haiti disaster relief fund". The new charities will waste a lot of money in just setting up their networks even if they are genuinely want to help. They also may be ill-prepared to deal with a lot of money, as in Wyclef Jean's charity.

The absolute worst thing you can do is send money to one of those cash-for-prayers charlatans. You may as well flush your cash down the toilet. None of it will go to Haiti and prayers don't actually work.

Comment

Working...
                    X