No announcement yet.

Felix Savon or Teofilo Stevenson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Savon or Teofilo Stevenson

Two great Cuban Heavyweight amateurs also both supporters of Castro and only wanted to fight for their country so they didn't attempt to go pro, they along with Hungarian Lazslo Papp are the only boxers to win 3 Olympic Gold medals.

Who does everyone think was the better / greater of these 2 ?.
    Last edited by NChristo; 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM.

To me its Stevenson. Savon lost to a very young Chagaev, twice. He was still a really great boxer, no doubt but I thought Stevenson was just incredible in his heyday. Its a close call, but Teofilo gets it in my eyes.

Comment

both guys had ridiculous tenures

savon had me thinking young gazelle in there for a while (lots of talent, still a bit unsure how to use it,) but i quickly made a u-turn on that.

he was herky and jerky with a purpose. dude had weapons and knew how to utilize them.

i'll admit that i know a lot more about savon than stevenson, but both guys accomplishments hardly seem real.

stevenson and papp are regularly regarded as the best//most accomplished ever in the amateurs in my experience.

in terms of strengthening the talent pool in boxing communism blows

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        both guys had ridiculous tenures

savon had me thinking young gazelle in there for a while (lots of talent, still a bit unsure how to use it,) but i quickly made a u-turn on that.

he was herky and jerky with a purpose. dude had weapons and knew how to utilize them.

i'll admit that i know a lot more about savon than stevenson, but both guys accomplishments hardly seem real.

stevenson and papp are regularly regarded as the best//most accomplished ever in the amateurs in my experience.

in terms of strengthening the talent pool in boxing communism blows
        What does that mean??

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          What does that mean??
          It means that communism has stopped some amazing athletes from going pro so it's a blow to professional boxings talent pool.
          E.g Cuba, anyone that wants to turn pro first has to leave the country which would be difficult enough then spend the rest of the time avoiding capture.
          Last edited by NChristo; 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            It means that communism has stopped some amazing athletes from going pro so it's a blow to professional boxings talent pool.
            E.g Cuba, anyone that wants to turn pro first has to leave the country which would be difficult enough then spend the rest of the time avoiding capture.
            Not ALL communist countries did that. Yugoslavia, my own country, allowed its boxers to turn pro and quite many have done that, some with great success. Mate Parlov, Slobodan Kacar, Marijan Benes are the best of that group. However, other promising amateurs like Anton Josipovich, the olympic lhw champion and Damir Skaro, who won several medals in world amateur championships, they never got so far or had very long pro careers. Josipovich got to beat a shot Matthew Saad Muhammad tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              Not ALL communist countries did that. Yugoslavia, my own country, allowed its boxers to turn pro and quite many have done that, some with great success. Mate Parlov, Slobodan Kacar, Marijan Benes are the best of that group. However, other promising amateurs like Anton Josipovich, the olympic lhw champion and Damir Skaro, who won several medals in world amateur championships, they never got so far or had very long pro careers. Josipovich got to beat a shot Matthew Saad Muhammad tho.
              Right, but it has still stopped a great number of athletes turning pro no getting around that, there's a number of countries that have banned Pro Boxing that aren't communist too e.g, I know Sweden only recently lifted the ban, Iceland and Norway as well these are also obviously a blow to the talent pool.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                I know a little about this subject, i am related to Felix but in Cuba there is no comparison. Stevenson is a national treasure and Felix just won three golds. The analogy which best fits is Ali and Holmes, no matter how good you are its impossible to replace a legend. and p.s. once you defect you do not have to look over your shoulder because there is no one who is going to capture you. now i am a U.S. citizen

Comment

Yeah, plus Teofilo is better looking than Felix, by a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by dchampishere View Post
                    I know a little about this subject, i am related to Felix but in Cuba there is no comparison. Stevenson is a national treasure and Felix just won three golds. The analogy which best fits is Ali and Holmes, no matter how good you are its impossible to replace a legend. and p.s. once you defect you do not have to look over your shoulder because there is no one who is going to capture you. now i am a U.S. citizen
                    I know Rigondeaux was caught and taken back, Napoles had Castro after him until he earned his place in Mexico, Gamboa's story is incredible, Luis Garcia, Mike Perez and Alexis Acosta have had problems with the Cuban Government as well after defecting over here, etc.

Savon seems to have the more names that made something of themselves as a professional on his amateur resume and won more World Amateur Championships, I don't know much about them personally other then they was the cream of the crop of Heavyweight amateur boxing at the time and both were great too watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X