Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Bad Of A Blow Would Boxing Take If....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad Of A Blow Would Boxing Take If....

Canelo fights Cotto sometime at the end of this year and Cotto wins? Cotto has been the 3rd biggest star in boxing. IDK if he's been surpassed yet by Canelo but its coming. Either way, Cotto is a star so 99.9 percent of the time its never bad if he wins a fight but this may be the one exception.

If he beat Canelo then we may have to soon change how we view the sport. Fighters get ripped way too much these days for losses which is why guys are scared to fight top guys alot.

If Canelo loses then we basically have no choice but to go back to the days of just accepting that the best are fighting eachother and losses will happen but it doesnt mean these guys suck. Therefore in one way a Canelo loss is horrible but maybe its the best thing for boxing. Still would suck in the short time though.....lol

I don't see why that would be a blow to boxing. It would be an excellent story for the sport imo. Then Cotto could ride off into the sunset with a major win under his belt. And Canelo at 22 still can improve and be on this stage yet again.

Losses are not disastrous barring a brutal ko that can change a fighter for life. I mean look at Rios with his loss to Alvarado, it's not career ending. It was close and competitive, nothing wrong with that to me.

Comment

It would surprise the hell out of me, but wouldn't be devastating to the sport. That's what the sport should be, let the best fight the best and decide it in the ring. If Cotto is the better man than so be it.
      Floyd fans saying he wins all these fantasy match ups without doing it is more harmful to the sport IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
        It would surprise the hell out of me, but wouldn't be devastating to the sport. That's what the sport should be, let the best fight the best and decide it in the ring. If Cotto is the better man than so be it.
        Floyd fans saying he wins all these fantasy match ups without doing it is more harmful to the sport IMO.
        The sad thing is that many of these fights aren't fantasy though.

Floyd/Martinez can happen
        Floyd/Canelo can happen
        Floyd/Pacman should have already happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          I don't see why that would be a blow to boxing. It would be an excellent story for the sport imo. Then Cotto could ride off into the sunset with a major win under his belt. And Canelo at 22 still can improve and be on this stage yet again.

Losses are not disastrous barring a brutal ko that can change a fighter for life. I mean look at Rios with his loss to Alvarado, it's not career ending. It was close and competitive, nothing wrong with that to me.
          but youre a boxing fan so it doesnt matter to you but alot of people think the Pac loss has hurt boxing bad because most casual fans were all hanging on to a Floyd-Pac fight. The new big fight is Floyd-Canelo and there isnt another fight anywhere close to that. Even a fight like Sergio is huge in boxing but probably wont be mega in the mainstream.

This is maybe the last tru mega fight left right now and its still building. If Canelo loses then that goes away. Everyone is already talking about Floyd having 5 fights left and no real opponents to sell PPV with except Canelo. If he loses then I think the mainstream may lose alot of interest

Comment

It would be a blow in the sense that the biggest fight in Boxing right now, Canelo-Mayweather, would lose a lot of steam considered he just lost to the guy Mayweather not long ago beat clearly and convincigly.

That said, at this point, I would doubt that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              but youre a boxing fan so it doesnt matter to you but alot of people think the Pac loss has hurt boxing bad because most casual fans were all hanging on to a Floyd-Pac fight. The new big fight is Floyd-Canelo and there isnt another fight anywhere close to that. Even a fight like Sergio is huge in boxing but probably wont be mega in the mainstream.

This is maybe the last tru mega fight left right now and its still building. If Canelo loses then that goes away. Everyone is already talking about Floyd having 5 fights left and no real opponents to sell PPV with except Canelo. If he loses then I think the mainstream may lose alot of interest
              Then making it next solves the problem completely.

Comment

lmao because Canelo is the ultimate non cherry picker after beating 1 top guy lmao

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

cotto's arms are way too short and he's slowed down enough. if he doesn't get on his bike i think alvarez would stop him. i do think he gets on the bike. alvarez UD.

the mayweather - cotto fight wasn't too bad. it sold pretty well. they'd probably fight again if cotto wasn't looking to get a huge cut of the ppv money. it would be better for boxing if canelo can fight mayweather in 2014, but it would survive if cotto beats him.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                    Canelo fights Cotto sometime at the end of this year and Cotto wins? Cotto has been the 3rd biggest star in boxing. IDK if he's been surpassed yet by Canelo but its coming. Either way, Cotto is a star so 99.9 percent of the time its never bad if he wins a fight but this may be the one exception.

If he beat Canelo then we may have to soon change how we view the sport. Fighters get ripped way too much these days for losses which is why guys are scared to fight top guys alot.

If Canelo loses then we basically have no choice but to go back to the days of just accepting that the best are fighting eachother and losses will happen but it doesnt mean these guys suck. Therefore in one way a Canelo loss is horrible but maybe its the best thing for boxing. Still would suck in the short time though.....lol
                    Third biggest star?

Not sure about that but he definitely has the attraction to sell his fights.

It's hard to picture Canelo losing to Cotto though since would Canelo be the biggest puncher Cotto has faced?
                    He's definitely up there with one of the biggest punchers he'd ever face and beating Cotto puts Canelo right on track to building a even bigger name.
                    I'd rather see Lara/Angulo against Canelo If he can't get Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                    X