Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins using Kelly Pavlik as a measuring stick against Chad Dawson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    nah, he was basically saying he doesn't need to fight any young hungry 26 years olds anymore because he just did that in Pavlik. He didn't say he fights like pavlik or anything like that. He also said it wouldn't be good for the sport, for Hopkins to continue to beat younger, rising stars, at his advanced age of 44, which I agree it's actually getting quite embarrassing all these young guys getting schooled by the old vets.

In addition he made other valid points, one is it adds nothing to hopkins legacy and does not motivate him, and two economically speaking dawson doesn't bring anything to the table, he's a guy that was brought up on Showtime which has a small audience, he's never been on a PPV before and he really doesn't have much of a fanbase.

I saw where he said that in an interview with 13th Round. Okay he makes some good points, so then retire and that's it. He gave a Middleweight a chance and he beat him up, he wouldn't do Dawson like that. Anyways, Hopkins will always be my top 3 fave of all time but seriously he should just retire, he's still officially active right now but idk why he just doesent announce his retirement along with DLH on April 14th.
    Last edited by PrettyBoyRoy 88; 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kev183 View Post
      I saw where he said that in an interview with 13th Round. Okay he makes some good points, so then retire and that's it.
      Well it certainly looks like he is going to retire.

he gave a Middleweight a chance and he beat him up
      1). Also blame Pavlik and Co. for fighting hopkins for $$$, despite the risks.

2). They fought at a catch weight of 170, 4 pounds north of Pavlik's prior fight against Taylor.

3). Pavlik & Hopkins are essentially the same size/build. Pavlik probably is even a little bit taller.

4). Pavlik was planning on moving up in weight as both pavlik & his trainer were complaining that he was having trouble making 160. Obviously those plans were ruined after hopkins for now, but he will go up in weight eventually as his body will not allow him to stay at 160.

5). Hopkins was coming off a "loss" to calzaghe, this fight motivated him because this was the guy that Joe calzaghe was supposed to fight instead of Jones. Hopkins was out to prove a point (and he did just that). Again, Pavlik was motivation for Hopkins. There is no motivation with Dawson.

This "a light heavy weight beat a middleweight" is not valid when discussing hopkins/pavlik for the reasons above. Further, Hopkins would school pavlik anywhere from 154 to 200+ at age 43, no question about that. In his Prime he would have finished Kelly off.
      Last edited by ИATAS; 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        Well it certainly looks like he is going to retire.

1). Also blame Pavlik and Co. for fighting hopkins for $$$, despite the risks.

2). They fought at a catch weight of 170, 4 pounds north of Pavlik's prior fight against Taylor.

3). Pavlik & Hopkins are essentially the same size/build. Pavlik probably is even a little bit taller.

4). Pavlik was planning on moving up in weight as both pavlik & his trainer were complaining that he was having trouble making 160. Obviously those plans were ruined after hopkins for now, but he will go up in weight eventually as his body will not allow him to stay at 160.

This "a light heavy weight beat a middleweight" is not valid when discussing hopkins/pavlik for the reasons above. Further, Hopkins would school pavlik anywhere from 154 to 200+ at age 43, no question about that. In his Prime he would have finished Kelly off.
        Game. Set. Match

Comment

I'm okay if he retires, but i'm not okay with him doing the Joe Calzaghe "I know I can beat him so I won't fight him"
          we all know hopkins can't beat dawson... that's why he says what he says.

we already seen this fight when it was called hopkins/taylor.

Comment

I don't see hopkins beating dawson.i don't see a weakness he can exploit.(i do i just don't see hopkins teeing off on him from the get go)

Comment

I think we can compare legacy to that quote "you can never have too much money".
              good point

but B-Hop is at the end of his career, if it doesn't motivate him or he feels he has bigger fish to fry, so be it.

in terms of how the fight would actually play out; i'd probably favour Chad slightly, to scrape an ugly win based on work rate

Chad has poor ring smarts that i feel Hopkins could exploit however

Comment

If Pavlik fought Dawson at 170, would Dawson beat him up worse than Hopkins did?
                Probably not. Tarver had surprisingly well sucess going forward where he was competitve. Granted Tarver lost the majority of the rounds, he still had a little sucess going forwards throwing punches. Pavlik would do enough to not take the beating Hopkins did.

Hopkins beat up Tarver better then Dawson did imo.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                  Probably not. Tarver had surprisingly well sucess going forward where he was competitve. Granted Tarver lost the majority of the rounds, he still had a little sucess going forwards throwing punches. Pavlik would do enough to not take the beating Hopkins did.

Hopkins beat up Tarver better then Dawson did imo.
                  yeah he would.it would be like gatti vs mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                  X