No announcement yet.

Losses That Help Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losses That Help Fighters

A number of losses were vital to some fighters sharpening their skills and improving their performances. I would have to say Pacquiao improved immensely after his decision loss to Morales in '05. He lost the fight, but he clearly got better as he demonstrated in the rematch and rubber match.

I also think Marquez's loss to Freddie Norwood taught him to turn up the juice a bit. He was very much comfortable with lying back and counterpunching. However after that fight he seemed to amp up his aggression some. He learned not to hold back too much or the judges may not be kind.

Mayweathers first lost to Castillo made him a bit of a better fighter in some regards.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      A number of losses were vital to some fighters sharpening their skills and improving their performances. I would have to say Pacquiao improved immensely after his decision loss to Morales in '05. He lost the fight, but he clearly got better as he demonstrated in the rematch and rubber match.

I also think Marquez's loss to Freddie Norwood taught him to turn up the juice a bit. He was very much comfortable with lying back and counterpunching. However after that fight he seemed to amp up his aggression some. He learned not to hold back too much or the judges may not be kind.
      Estrada after his loss to chocolatito.

But not PAC after his devastating loss to Marquez.
      Nor Tyson after his loss to douglas.

Perfect example would be Marquez after a tie, losing two more to PAC, then nearly killing him in the ring in the final battle. He learned what to expect, and nearly decapitated PAC.

I think that is a good example.

Another one, less dramatic was the no mas fight.

But Marquez wrote the book on it!

Great question!

Comment

That's a great question. I go back to Virgil Hill who lost first to Tommy Hearns and then went on a tear and didn't lose again for another 6-7 years. Hill, obviously, was never very exciting, but he really tuned up his game and was an excellent lhw champion for years.

And I think Julian Jackson really did Terry Norris a favour when he knocked him out. Norris had a good power-boxing type of style but he didn't have the best chin. After Jackson caught him, he worked on his defense and went on to have a hall of fame career.

Comment

Poison jr jones vs Barrera- Barrera became a much better boxer after that loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
            That's a great question. I go back to Virgil Hill who lost first to Tommy Hearns and then went on a tear and didn't lose again for another 6-7 years. Hill, obviously, was never very exciting, but he really tuned up his game and was an excellent lhw champion for years.

And I think Julian Jackson really did Terry Norris a favour when he knocked him out. Norris had a good power-boxing type of style but he didn't have the best chin. After Jackson caught him, he worked on his defense and went on to have a hall of fame career.
            Yeah but his caliber of opponent really dropped fast and when he stepped back up, he lost back to back fights.

I think Bhops first loss really helped him, he said he took time away from boxing, re-dedicated himself and came back strong. The loss to Jones made him even better and helped him up his work rate in the mid to late 90s and really hone his skills. Hopkins isn't the most talented but there's a few things he does well and he just perfected those thing (i.e. spoiling, tying guys up, antics, mind game, sharp defense).

Also, those early losses for Armstrong must have really helped. There isn't any footage from his early fights so I dunno how the style and skills improved but the guy went from losing to less than journeymen fighters to beating world champions.

Comment

Originally posted by lx!! View Post
              Poison jr jones vs Barrera- Barrera became a much better boxer after that loss.
              I totally agree. I even thought he actually won the rematch with Jones. From there, he was not one-dimensional in any way. I always wonder what would have happened had he not lost before facing Morales the first time.

Comment

I think Canelo's loss to Mayweather made him a smarter, better fighter and more determined than ever to improve. If I'm right it will show in his fight with Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post

I thought Marquez was robbed against Norwood.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smash View Post
                    I thought Marquez was robbed against Norwood.
                    I thought he was as well. However, he did not destroy Norwood or amp things up enough to make a clear statement. He would have won on my scorecard as well as many others, but the case for Norwood could be made and unfortunately, it was. Afterward, I think Marquez was willing to step things up more to make a solid case.

Comment

Working...
                    X