Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here been laid off before? Damn, this sucks......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been there man its hard. was unemployed for 3 months. i couldnt imagine life without work

Comment

My dad has his own business and has a job with the Yankee Stadium as well. It's okay to have your own business and job. The thing is my dad's business is for a carnival in DR, it gets hot and cold sometimes. He has engineers and stuff as his long time customers. I personally don't like the business he's in. My uncle's business[his brother] in Dallas has a much better business dealing with cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Always View Post
        Has anyone been laid off before? Man, I got laid off from my job on Friday. Been there 5 years, and busted my ass for them. They told me on Friday, that they had to downsize, and I was one of the workers let go.

Ive known that there was a possibility of the company downsizing, but thought there was no way that I would be let go. My manager and I had real problems, and hated each other, but the owner/boss and I were really cool.

I will receive 5 weeks of severance, and they told me after that 5 weeks, if I want, I can go and claim unemployment, and they wont fight it.

Ive been saving up a little cash to start my own pool company, but just havent done it because I never wanted it to interfere with my job. But with 5 more weeks of severance pay, and the safety net of an unemployment check, I feel like this is the time to go out and do it. In addition the checks, since they downsized, they had to let go of a 10-12 customers, and they are going to give me all of their info so that I can have them come to me for service.

Wish me luck my BScene homies, this is gonna be a hard couple of months until I get my feet back on steady ground, but in the name of Jesus, I will be back in the swing of things quick.
        i've been wishing to be laid off for a year now lol.... not fired laid off so i can sit at home and collect 2k a month for doing nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
          not doing what he was thinking. he doesn't need an office, probably no employees so basically it's a matter of him getting his name out there and providing a great service.
          Exactly...... Its just me, a truck, pool chems and equipment, and insurance. I already have about 10 people to bring on board, and I havent even got a truck yet.

I think this is gonna be a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
            i've been wishing to be laid off for a year now lol.... not fired laid off so i can sit at home and collect 2k a month for doing nothing
            Yea, Id be bringing home a little less than that from unemployment. Unemployment here goes on 40 hours of your base salary. My base is 15 and hour. Now when I was doing repairs, pool schools, etc., I was making have of what our company was charging for labor, usually 35 and hour. So if I was getting 8-10 REPAIR hours a week, my check would jump dramatically. Too bad that doesnt factor in in unemployment.

Comment

you'll get another job but not getting along with your boss can be a real issue...trust me because i've been laid off so many times i lost count. in my field once the iron is up you are no longer needed but before the job is done they will always have that list of guys to go first when it's time to downsize the crews. regardless of your good work ethic if you do not get along with your boss & he is the one who picks & chooses who he wants to keep then you could be on top of his chopping block even though you were more productive then others. if he\she has a axe to grind with you then this was their opportunity to stick it to you. just find another job & don't rush into anything like starting your own business. you need money in the bank & a plan first.

Comment

Originally posted by Always View Post
                Yea, Id be bringing home a little less than that from unemployment. Unemployment here goes on 40 hours of your base salary. My base is 15 and hour. Now when I was doing repairs, pool schools, etc., I was making have of what our company was charging for labor, usually 35 and hour. So if I was getting 8-10 REPAIR hours a week, my check would jump dramatically. Too bad that doesnt factor in in unemployment.
                unemployment insurance in canada has a $1700\month cap. $800 every 2 weeks after taxes...my bills are $1400\month so i'd rather be working. i clear just over $1500\week on 5 10 schedule...no way i could survive on unemployment up here...

Comment

Working...
                X