Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If K2 retired, wouldn't HW boxing be alive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If K2 retired, wouldn't HW boxing be alive?

Say K2 retired, both of them,

We'd have the likes of Adamek, Povetkin, Haye, Chisora, Areiola, Solis (in shape)
    now think of the top showdowns we would have with these 6 fighting each other!

K2 are great boxers, they're just way too heavy/tall to make this division competitive! as well as being very skilled equals uncompetitive

Sure, it wont be like the 70s, but semi-close to the 90s, well maybe not the 90s but competitive enough to be excited for a HW title fight

- ive said it before and id say it again, make a heavier weight class for boxers the weight of k2

would we match light welters with smw's? NO , so we shouldn't do the equivalent in hgher weight classes

or do people think different?
    Last edited by adamt; 05-21-2012, 06:03 PM.

It would be more competitive and the titles would not be held for long periods of time.

But I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Bad fighters are bad fighters even if they're called champs.

We're basically left with all these top10 guys fighting each other (like they already do) except it would be for some paper title.

Yes it's different with heavyweights. Because there's a big dropoff in agility, mobility and speed once you become "too big". And the punch resistance doesn't scale as it does in lighter weights.
    A 300lbs heavyweight could very easily get KO'd by a 200 lbs fighter.
    a 108lbs fighter would almost never be able to KO a middleweight.

Comment

The reason the Heavyweight division is awful is because those subpar fighters never fight each other to get a chance at the K bros.

No one fights each other for a title shot anymore, they just wait in line for a mandatory fight

Comment

if you make a higher weight class for the K bros, they will have even less a challenge, as most people who would weigh that much would be very overweight. they are very tall therefore their weight evens out.

i think if should be more like when smaller fighters want to fight in higher weight classes; bulk up if you wanna challenge the klits. or use your advantages. mike tyson was frequently outweighed when he fought in the HW division. btw, wlad has lost to smaller guys e.g. ross purity, corrie sanders and lamont brewster. honestly if your not good enough to beat the best then you arent the best. so why would i prefer to watch the lesser fighters over the k's?

and to me, its exciting to see 2 boxers with this much dominance over as long a period as they have sustained. there will be a time when they will retire, and i will miss them

Comment

I have mixed emotions on this subject but I think professional boxing one day may need to follow the suit of the Olympics and have a Super Heavyweight division. Evidence has shown that human beings are consistently getting bigger as time progresses, even in the last 80-100 years humans are on average a few inches taller and a lot heavier compared to the past. Every weight class has between a 3-7lb to weight limit in between it and the next weight class (except for LHW to Cruiser, where there is a 25lb weight difference). To expect consistent competitiveness between fighters who could be 205, 210 lbs and fighters who are 250, 260 lbs is just not realistic really. Sure there are a few exceptions like a Tyson but how often is that? That is more the exception than the rule. I think there should be a HVWT division where, that for example, the weight range is 201-235 lbs, something like that. That way it would be more evenly matched. I think the difference is more negligible the heavier you are. To me, there is a bigger difference between someone who is 205 and 245 than someone who is 245 and 285. Once someone is 240-250 lbs, they can pretty much handle people even bigger than them due to sheer size. I was 210 lbs when I sparred with a guy that was 275 lbs and it was like fighting a bear, it wasn't even fair. He was just too heavy for me to be competitive really. I was way more skilled than him but he was just too damn big lol. Conversely, I sparred a guy who was 145 and he couldn't do anything against me, so that much weight difference is just so hard to overcome. It is just not realistic for someone who is 210-215 to fight someone on even terms who is 260-270. Skill or no skill there needs to be a measure of fairness. I think the point of boxing is defeating an opponent with skill and will, and having to also go up against someone that is 40, 50, 60 lbs heavier is just not fair to be in the mix. This is just my 2 cents of course .

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
            I have mixed emotions on this subject but I think professional boxing one day may need to follow the suit of the Olympics and have a Super Heavyweight division.
            Yeah what they could do is rename cruiserweight = heavyweight and name heavyweight = super heavyweight.

This would make it the same as amateur boxing. Super hw at the olympics is the same limits as heavyweight is in the pro.

Comment

Working...
            X