Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dream Team is overrated! No way that they can beat the USA Olympic team today!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] The Dream Team is overrated! No way that they can beat the USA Olympic team today!

It's No Dream: Olympic Team Loses
    June 25, 1992|JAN HUBBARD | NEWSDAY

SAN DIEGO — The 1992 Olympic basketball team is perhaps the best ever, but it was only the second best team on the court Wednesday.

The developmental squad made up of top college players defeated the Olympic team in a 20-minute scrimmage. No one was disclosing the final score, but the collegians won by eight points.

"We got killed today," Michael Jordan said. "They beat us and they played well. We're so out of sync and so unsure about things that we feel comfortable with in normal situations. We don't have any continuity at all."

The college team is made up of Chris Webber of Michigan, Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley of Duke, Anfernee Hardaway of Memphis State, Allan Houston of Tennessee, Jamal Mashburn of Kentucky, Eric Montross of North Carolina and Rodney Rogers of Wake Forest.

In a scrimmage Tuesday, Webber and Rogers dunked over Charles Barkley.

"They were a little stronger than I thought they were," Barkley said.

The college players say they look at playing against the NBA players as an opportunity to improve themselves, but also to give the Olympians strong competition.

"Our purpose is to help them get ready to win the gold medal and to improve our own game," Webber said. "But we're not going to back down. I'm not even nervous out here playing with these guys. I'm out here talking trash just like I always do. They're doing the same thing. They talk a lot more trash."

The college guys had the last word Wednesday, but they know the pros are better. Still, the pros are impressed.

"If they were in the Olympics," Jordan said, "they'd win the silver medal."

Originally posted by MR. SMILEY View Post
    It's No Dream: Olympic Team Loses
    June 25, 1992|JAN HUBBARD | NEWSDAY

SAN DIEGO — The 1992 Olympic basketball team is perhaps the best ever, but it was only the second best team on the court Wednesday.

The developmental squad made up of top college players defeated the Olympic team in a 20-minute scrimmage. No one was disclosing the final score, but the collegians won by eight points.

"We got killed today," Michael Jordan said. "They beat us and they played well. We're so out of sync and so unsure about things that we feel comfortable with in normal situations. We don't have any continuity at all."

The college team is made up of Chris Webber of Michigan, Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley of Duke, Anfernee Hardaway of Memphis State, Allan Houston of Tennessee, Jamal Mashburn of Kentucky, Eric Montross of North Carolina and Rodney Rogers of Wake Forest.

In a scrimmage Tuesday, Webber and Rogers dunked over Charles Barkley.

"They were a little stronger than I thought they were," Barkley said.

The college players say they look at playing against the NBA players as an opportunity to improve themselves, but also to give the Olympians strong competition.

"Our purpose is to help them get ready to win the gold medal and to improve our own game," Webber said. "But we're not going to back down. I'm not even nervous out here playing with these guys. I'm out here talking trash just like I always do. They're doing the same thing. They talk a lot more trash."

The college guys had the last word Wednesday, but they know the pros are better. Still, the pros are impressed.

"If they were in the Olympics," Jordan said, "they'd win the silver medal."
    Where was Shaq?

Comment

left out some crucial information there. First off, they weren't playing as a team yet. The coach purposely had Jordan sit out most of the game and he wanted them to lose to prove a point, which was they needed to play as a team. The next day they played again and the college team barely scored a basket.
      Daly intentionally limited Jordan's playing time and made non-optimal substitutions; Krzyzewski later said that the head coach "threw the game" to teach the NBA players that they could be beaten. The teams played again the following day, with the Olympians winning decisively in the rematch.

Anyways, the dream team had size and knew how to play defense. Put Scottie Pippen on LeBron and LeBron wont do jack. Jordan on Kobe, done.
      Last edited by ИATAS; 07-14-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Well now at least we know you know nothing about two sports.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
          Anyways, the dream team had size and knew how to play defense. Put Scottie Pippen on LeBron and LeBron wont do jack. Jordan on Kobe, done.
          I agree with this. Also, throw in the fact that Dream Team would be able to clog up the lane with the Robinson/Ewing combo. So even if Lebron can get past Pippen, attacking the basket wouldn't be ideal and he isn't a great jump shooter.

Just a bad match up all around for current Team USA.

Comment

Healthy Dwight and Wade instead of Harden and Chandler, I see 2012 maybe winning a close one.

Best of 7? Dream Team takes it in 7.

Comment

The interesting thing to me is, that it doesn't matter. I don't care if the worst combination of (11 hall of famers) players were on the court. They should never lose to the college players. I don't care if Michael Jordan sit out most of the game. With the rest of this squad you shouldn't need the best player in the world. Because you have the 2nd-11th best players in the world still on the team. I don't care if the game was ref'ed unfairly. They should not have lost.

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post

Healthy Dwight and Wade instead of Harden and Chandler, I see 2012 maybe winning a close one.

Best of 7? Dream Team takes it in 7.
                Wade couldn't even get the ball up the court against the Thunder when the going got tough.

He'd either dribble the ball off his foot or get ripped by whoever was gaurding him. Throw the defense of Pippen, Jordan and Drexler in the mix and Wade is a non factor.

Wade as a guard is so overrated. I remember the kid shooting and hitting the side of the backboard or a straight air ball. This is the guy that's suppose to "be in the mix" against the Dream Team?

He's a good slasher when he gets in rhythm. But the guards on the Dream Team won't allow him to get in any kind of rhythm.

Comment

there were players that did NOT make the dream team that could run the current squad...dudes like Isaiah, Snaq, Reggie Miller....

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                    Wade couldn't even get the ball up the court against the Thunder when the going got tough.

He'd either dribble the ball off his foot or get ripped by whoever was gaurding him. Throw the defense of Pippen, Jordan and Drexler in the mix and Wade is a non factor.

Wade as a guard is so overrated. I remember the kid shooting and hitting the side of the backboard or a straight air ball. This is the guy that's suppose to "be in the mix" against the Dream Team?

He's a good slasher when he gets in rhythm. But the guards on the Dream Team won't allow him to get in any kind of rhythm.
                    Did you read the part when I said healthy?

I agree he is overrated, but are you expecting a healthy Wade to be shut down?

Comment

Working...
                    X