Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

peterson doesn't see anything special in cuban fighters, says they got moves from usa

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peterson doesn't see anything special in cuban fighters, says they got moves from usa

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article22941.html

"I didn't see nothing special. All Cuban fighters have a decent fight game, but I didn't see nothing special about him," stated lightweight contender Anthony Peterson, who shared his thoughts on the recent performance of IBF lightweight champion Rances Barthelemy, who scored a unanimous decision victory over Denis Shafikov last month. According to Peterson, who is eager to get a shot at Barthelemy's title, the highly-touted pedigree of Cuban fighters is nothing he's concerned about or hasn't seen before. In fact, Peterson claims the style of several top Cuban fighters is taken directly from American boxers like Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Leonard.

"What people fail to realize is that style that they have was created by Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Leonard. We had that over here. We had that here in the 70's and 80's. We kind of fell off in the 90's and the early millennium. Everybody wasn't accustomed to that type of style. It came back on the circuit and when the Cubans so to speak came out with it, it was like, okay, this is something new. All along, those guys were getting that and copying it from guys from the '76 Olympics and the guys from the '84 Olympics," Peterson explained during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. "AP: Yep! And if you look at the 2000 Olympics with Mario Kindelan, Rigondeaux, and Yuriorkis Gamboa, look at their footwork. Look at all of their footwork and how they position themselves and move and a good account of ring generalship. Like I said, they got that from our fighters that we had. The American fighters that we had from the late 70's and early 80's."
    true
    21.05%
    false
    63.16%
    some but not all
    15.79%

what a ****ing bum.

Steroid taking...

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
      what a ****ing bum.

Steroid taking...
      this is actually anthony peterson, lamont's brother.

but i haven't heard much about him since the rios fight. i wonder what he's been up to.

Comment

I see the stories of Rios leaving Peterson ******ed was true.

Comment

Wow, Rios did kill a lot of Peterson's brain cells.

Comment

Whitaker is Rigo's favorite fighter. So there is some influence on individual fighters. But the Cuban school been around long before Leonard and Sweet Pea. Dude just talking.

Comment

Originally posted by moonboxer86 View Post
              this is actually anthony peterson, lamont's brother.

but i haven't heard much about him since the rios fight. i wonder what he's been up to.
              He's still been in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                Whitaker is Rigo's favorite fighter. So there is some influence on individual fighters. But the Cuban school been around long before Leonard and Sweet Pea. Dude just talking.
                Hmmm...There is some truth to that. Rigo does fight like sweetpea to some extent & so does Lara. Just look at & compare the styles there are a lot of film footage to go around. The great "kid Gavilan" had a good style as well. So it's all about evolution...

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
                  He's still been in the gym.
                  any fights lined up?

Comment

Originally posted by moonboxer86 View Post
                    any fights lined up?
                    Not sure about anything right now, but he fought last year on the Thurman card and on Lamont's in October. I'll swing by their gym every now and then and was there last month but he nor Lamont showed up to train so they probably don't have something until March or April.

Comment

Working...
                    X