No announcement yet.

HBO commentary is MUCH better than BoxNation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO commentary is MUCH better than BoxNation

I just watched the HBO version of Kovalev-Chilemba.

Earlier today, I watched it live on Match TV. I tried BoxNation for awhile, but I was sickened by the ridiculous and misleading commentary by John Rawling and Barry Jones, so I went back to Match TV, even though my understanding of the Russian language is poor.

However, the team of Jim Lampley, Roy Jones and Harold Lederman tonight did an excellent job - they called the fight exactly the way it happened.

Tonight, listening to Roy Jones' insights and analytical commentary was very refreshing after the repetitive, boring, biased commentary of Rawling and Barry Jones.

Can't BoxNation find someone better than those two? There must be an ex-boxer who could replace Barry Jones as analyst, and a younger brighter blow-by-blow commentator to replace Rawling.

Those guys put me to sleep. No excitement at all

Comment

HBO commentary crew is continually vilified here for their dishonesty and bias in selling fighters they're trying to promote. But, when it's convenient, they can sure be your best friend, eh?

BoxNation were mostly split in their opinions. Between the two, one had to find something they agreed with, unless they were just looking to huff verbal ether...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        HBO commentary crew is continually vilified here for their dishonesty and bias in selling fighters they're trying to promote. But, when it's convenient, they can sure be your best friend, eh?

BoxNation were mostly split in their opinions. Between the two, one had to find something they agreed with, unless they were just looking too huff verbal ether.
        You say that because you were obviously rooting against Kovalev, as those two BoxNation employees were. Let's be honest, some people just don't like Eastern European boxers.

The HBO commentary team was fair, and Roy Jones noticed a lot of stuff those BoxNation idiots missed.

The only HBO commentator I've ever disliked is biased fanboy Max Kellerman, but thankfully he wasn't on tonight.

Comment

You can't really compare HBO commentary team to Boxnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            You say that because you were obviously rooting against Kovalev, as those two BoxNation employees were. Let's be honest, some people just don't like Eastern European boxers.

The HBO commentary team was fair, and Roy Jones noticed a lot of stuff those BoxNation idiots missed.
            Aaand he's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              You can't really compare HBO commentary team to Boxnation.
              There's a huge gap in professionalism and class, and I imagine the BoxNation guys are not paid very well.

Comment

There's a huge gap in professionalism and class, and I imagine the BoxNation guys are not paid very well.
                Of course they aren't and yes they're crap.

Doesn't mean they dislike Eastern Europeans.

Comment

This will be impossible for you to wrap your head around but I was pulling FOR him today and was disappointed with his performance. I like him as a boxer. I like Ward better. I think Ward will beat him. But that doesn't mean I don't like Kovalev or would root against him in a fight with Chilemba, who I had a low opinion of before today. I think I've rooted for Kovalev EVERY time I've watched him, save for Hopkins, when I had mixed feeling about both.

Not everyone has child-like emotions about boxing, nor do we all need to create heroes and villains out of pro athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    This will be impossible for you to wrap your head around but I was pulling FOR him today and was disappointed with his performance. I like him as a boxer. I like Ward better. I think Ward will beat him. But that doesn't mean I don't like Kovalev or would root against him in a fight with Chilemba, who I had a low opinion of before today. I think I've rooted for Kovalev EVERY time I've watched him, save for Hopkins, when I had mixed feeling about both.

Not everyone has child-like emotions about boxing, nor do we all need to create heroes and villains out of pro athletes.
                    Are you referring to Rawling with that last comment? It's sad that some people are like that.

Kovalev's performance was fine, not the best I've seen from him, but not bad.

Before the fight, I knew it would be difficult to get a stoppage against the elusive, crafty Chilemba (see my OP in the RBR thread) and that Sergey would need to be at his best to accomplish that.

I'm surprised that you were not aware Chilemba is a very good fighter. Didn't you see Chilemba-Lepikin, Chilemba-Alvarez and Chilemba-Bellew I?
                    Last edited by The Hammer; 07-12-2016, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X