Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] McGregor: Cycling Better Than Running For Stamina

http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching...rdio-training/

Originally posted by StickyBottle.com
    “I’ve been doing a lot of endurance work on the rowing machine, sprints on the treadmill; I’m doing everything cardio-related,” he said of his work in ensuring he stays strong over the full length of a UFC fight.
    The irony is totally not lost on me.

Running and rope jumping are the closest to using footwork, that's why they're the best cardio excercises for boxers not only because they're intense workouts where u don't have to do for 3 hours to get in shape, they're like fighting, shorter and more intense, which helps stamina and explosiveness in the ring. Plus it's a very similar motion to footwork so u train these muscles too and therefore u feel lighter on ur feet, imo roadwork and road jumping can't be replaced for fighters.

Comment

Gross, he's not even clipped in and his seat is way too low. He's going to hurt his knees if he continues riding without a proper road bike fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
        Running and rope jumping are the closest to using footwork, that's why they're the best cardio excercises for boxers not only because they're intense workouts where u don't have to do for 3 hours to get in shape, they're like fighting, shorter and more intense, which helps stamina and explosiveness in the ring. Plus it's a very similar motion to footwork so u train these muscles too and therefore u feel lighter on ur feet, imo roadwork and road jumping can't be replaced for fighters.
        Too true. It has to be running/skipping or even swimming if you have knee/ankle/hip problems. Anything else then I genuinely just think it's laziness on the athletes part. No one likes road work but it's a necessity and it's also even good for mental strength- see Marvin Hagler doing road work backwards in military boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
          Gross, he's not even clipped in and his seat is way too low. He's going to hurt his knees if he continues riding without a proper road bike fitting.

Word... over time your knees take a hit with alot of running.... but biking the wrong way will still kill your knees anyway

Comment

I always thought running was better for cardio then bike, still pretty sure it is.....

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching...rdio-training/

The irony is totally not lost on me.
              SURPRISE SURRISE... KING IS BACK!!

1-1... Deal with it....

White man marches on... Deal with it.

Comment

I think road work - just regular jogging - is more helpful for maintaining your weight, than actual cardio preparation for the fight.

Sprints, circuit training, and other explosive exercises are much better for actual cardio preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                  Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
                  Too true. It has to be running/skipping or even swimming if you have knee/ankle/hip problems. Anything else then I genuinely just think it's laziness on the athletes part. No one likes road work but it's a necessity and it's also even good for mental strength- see Marvin Hagler doing road work backwards in military boots.
                  Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                  Word... over time your knees take a hit with alot of running.... but biking the wrong way will still kill your knees anyway
                  Originally posted by HiLo Rudyo! View Post
                  I always thought running was better for cardio then bike, still pretty sure it is.....
                  You guys all get why I say the irony is not lost on me.

His bicycling is ALL wrong which is probably why he gassed if that's all he did. That's exactly my point.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                    You guys all get why I say the irony is not lost on me.

His bicycling is ALL wrong which is probably why he gassed if that's all he did. That's exactly my point.
                    I agree. I'm no expert, but I've always believed swimming, followed by running is that hardest and most effective cardio workout.

Cycling is the easiest. That's why in Triathlons, the cycling part is much longer than the swimming and running segments.

Swimming: 2.4 mi
                    Running: 26.2 mi
                    Cycling: 112 mi

Comment

Working...
                    X