No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Erupts: Rips De La Hoya, SHO, Haymon in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    I think you're right on everything. SHO doesn't have a budget big enough for all of GBP's expensive stable, much less to give them room to grow.
    CBS owns showtime. I'm sure with all the money they've made in the past year, #1 network, super bowl, ncaa-they have plenty to bankroll showtime bboxing.

Comment

• I bet CBS has committed to having more boxing on TV. GBP will have no problem providing content for them and also Showtime with all the fighters they have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        CBS owns showtime. I'm sure with all the money they've made in the past year, #1 network, super bowl, ncaa-they have plenty to bankroll showtime bboxing.
        That'd be something, if that's what they're after. Still these cards are pretty expensive, so far they haven't shown such commitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
          Golden Boy has the larger stable of fighters at the moment but I wonder why nobody has stopped to ask how that came to be so.

A large part of that, and the way GBP marketed themselves to young fighters and future stars, was the HBO output deal and the ability to guarantee these guys the big fights on the biggest network.

Top Rank not only has HBO now, but they are also much more adept at running their own shows and getting their fighters TV exposure when there are no major network slots available.

How many of these guys in the huge GBO stable is there room for on Showtime? There are only so many dates to go around.

Over the next 2-3 years I expect you will see a lot of GBP fighters growing impatient with their lack of Showtime dates and the long waits in between fights as they wait in line for a date.

Top Rank meanwhile will be able to keep all their top fighters as active as they want to be and in competitive fights that HBO and the fans will eat up.

I expect we will start seeing defections from GBP to TR and other promoters who are not boxed in with a network. The fallout from this change in business philosophy won't be fully felt for a couple years so you can't really start jumping to conclusions now but I just don't see how this works out better for GBP than it does for TR.
          this might work to the fans advantage, cause if the boxers want to fight more often on Showtime, GBP is gonna have to stack their cards so everyone gets exposure... only problem is that Showtime likely won't have the money to make stacked undercards. a lot of the boxers are going to have to take a pay cut to get on network tv and they might not always be headlining.

Comment

• Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Late Saturday night, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum took aim at his competition - Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya and powerful boxing manager Al Haymon. A few weeks ago, HBO severed their business ties with Golden Boy - who over the last twelve months have conducted the majority of their business with network rival Showtime.

Arum let loose during the post-fight press conference that followed the junior welterweight rematch between Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado. The vicious brawl headlined an HBO televised card at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

"Fans want to see action and they want to see exciting fights. Now some people involved in boxing want to sign fighters and have them fight tomato cans and have networks pay to show those fights - and it goes on and on and on. That's not what the fans want," Arum said. "I think that it's not only us at Top Rank, but other promoters who don't have the [favoritism] from a particular network - also have that type of mentality. I think it's great news for boxing fans, because we are going to give them competition." [Click Here To Read More]
            Doesn't make any sense...He somewhats disses HBO by saying al has been raping them making it seem that HBO are making or cant make good business decisions..

what do the fans want bob...The fans has asked for alot of things but you were and are stubborn

"We have no interest in working with Golden Boy" - Bob Arum, November 14, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
              boxing is a fringe sport, I don't think CBS is gonna double down on boxing. either GBP boxers will have to sit out for long periods of time or take a hit to their bank accounts

Comment

• Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
                boxing is a fringe sport, I don't think CBS is gonna double down on boxing.
                I hear they were pleased with the ratings they got from Leo Santa Cruz.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  I hear they were pleased with the ratings they got from Leo Santa Cruz.
                  It's much lower expectations. The show was dirt cheap, early afternoon. Are they willing to give up 2 hours of prime time CBS TV for boxing, at 2m+ a pop?

Comment

• Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
                    I agree.... he protected JuanMa so hard that when he fought a durable fighter, Lopez got crushed 2X.
                    well he did KO ponce de leon who was undefeated at the time and still is relevant

Salido just took everything out of JuanMa.. I think Juanma for whatever reason didnt want to take on Gamboa or Caballero until Salido rocked his world twice.. now he would fight them tomorrow if he could.

JuanMa was hyped but at the same time he wasnt draining the wallets of either showtime or HBO the way Broner was.. Still remember the fight with the Mexican Police officer who NOONE ever ever heard of but all of the sudden was the 3rd ranked Contender from some alphabet.. On HBO Championship Boxing.. they were feeding us this BS and we still watched cause at the end of the day we love boxing

Comment

• Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
                      boxing is a fringe sport, I don't think CBS is gonna double down on boxing. either GBP boxers will have to sit out for long periods of time or take a hit to their bank accounts
                      I completely agree, all this talk that CBS is all in with boxing is all talk. Once they finally put it on a saturday night or sunday night we will see...

CBS getsw money from other sports like the NFL and NCAA basetball tournament and the SEC football games but dont think that means it will open its wallet to GBP to do whatever it pleases.. They are gonna spend a grip just to get Colleges new Playoff format for football on thier station

there was a reason why ABC world wide sports killed it weekend boxing showcases, same with NBC.. time will tell if CBS gives it a real shot

Comment

Working...
                      X