Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather - Locche. Hype vs Substance in Boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we honestly comparing Locche to Floyd now?

Comment

Sorry man no way you can even be a casual fan and not know who Floyd Mayweather is..thats like being a casual basketball fan and saying who is Lebron James

Comment

They may not remember the PPV Buys but they will remember the Complete Boxing Skills. Especially since many of the fighters after him will be using his style more and more

That is not better legacy to leave behind then to have a major impact on the Generation and the ERA After You! Mayweather will leave behind a legacy that might not be respected by Bitter Fans currently but the fighters and trainers as well as new boxing fans after he is gone will respect him and will try to use his Blueprint not only Inside of the Ring but Outside of the ring as well

I can't blame him for just being more talented, more skilled and work harder then everybody in his ERA!

Comment

I really like the Mayweather / Locche parallel (I watched Locche fights when I was a child) and I've been thinking about it these days.

Even today, after almost forty years, many Argentinian fans would tell you Locche is the best Argentinian boxer ever. He was loved more than anyone else and never failed to fill the Luna Park (the Madison Square Garden of Buenos Aires). There's even a tango song (Another Saturday) that mentions him.

But soon after Locche won the Jr. WW world title, a very different kind of fighter came into the scene: Carlos Monzón. The comparisons were unavoidable and the fans were divided about who was the best or the most entertaining.

They said Locche's fights were a show for the family. The fans celebrated when he, bent over and hands down, showed his face to his opponents and avoided their punches with quick movements of head and waist. He was a magician.

Monzón instead was a God of War. Locche's rivals left Buenos Aires frustrated and a bit humiliated, but Monzon's opponents ended KOd and / or badly hurt. This bloody spectacle was not "for the family".

Thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that in general Floyd prefers not to KO or hurt his opponents. I suspect that he doesn't want to give the public a bloody show (at least as a general rule), but a more charming spectacle to a wider audience. He's not Iron Maiden, but Justin Bieber. If Locche's precedent is valid as a parallel, he won't be forgotten.
          Last edited by FromBA; 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X